Whats Going On? Files/folders disappearing

Urbansory

The Definition of...
Anyone having folders just up and disappear? Installed 10.4, clean install...
I've seen folders and files literally vanish. Whats going on????????

I restart, I'm missing 2 of my 6 partitions. Was 3, then one just popped up. This is really starting to piss me off.

I think it has something to do with journaling. I lost some things, nothing that wasn't backed up. But the partitions had problems in the nodes and it specifically mentioned files on each with "journal" in their names. I have all my partitions back up after Norton, i only used it on the non X partitions. I'll leave my mac on all night and let it journal if that is what it is doing. I can't tell because the system is very responsive. But if i wake up to nothing on my partitions, then... yea something is really wrong.

correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't a clean install result in your hard drive being wiped and losing all your data? or would it only erase a certain partition?

Only Erased a certain partition which only holds OS X. I had a file that refused to be deleted in Panther, i figured I was wiping the drive soon, no big deal, but to my surprise that file was still in the trash after i did the clean install. I kinda wish i used a 3rd party app to wipe the drive.

But Tiger is much faster on this slow/old Mac. Safari is great, quicktime seems to never drop frame rates, a constant 30fps, even while you do all types of stuff over the movie. All my old apps work, well all that i have opened so far. Dash board needs to update BEFORE I pull it up, it's a pain to see it update after, I know it needs to take up none of the processor, but to run every now and then won't hurt. ITunes doesn't eat a ton of CPU, Safari doesn't eat a ton of CPU anymore, it stays a very low amount. Font book runs great, I just wish we could have the fonts we add organized by the folders we create in font book.

Why didn't you zero out the drive? If you are just erasing the data, it's really erasing the index, the actual file or content remains.

i think i might do a clean wipe sometime later. at the moment, i'm content with the Tiger that's running in my computer.

Urbansory said:
Anyone having folders just up and disappear? Installed 10.4, clean install...
I've seen folders and files literally vanish. Whats going on????????

... the same has just happened to me on my 1.25 ghz G4 powerbook ..... after 10.4 install ..... 2 folders of important photo work just vanished. First my bottom ram slot goes after 14months now this. Just what is going on apple ....... This is a disaster for me...

Back