machine was a 300MHz. However,
upon buying an HD and installing
Mac OS X, the system says that
I am actually running a 400MHz
CPU with 1MB backside cache.

Is there any other way of telling which
CPU chip I actually have other
than checking the Clock settings (via
the board) and other than checking "About my mac"???

Any specific numbers on the CPU itself?

I am wondering, because i have had problems with Mac OS X stability.
I installed a copy of OS X onto the G3 which I received with my G4 Mirror, so perhaps (though less likely), this set of install CDs had special additions only for G4s.

Or,... the instability could come from an overclocked CPU (It did not seem that someone changed jumpers on the board as the tape was on securely).

Any suggestions? With instability I mean: random crashes, erratic behavior on a newly installed 10.2.6 system.

- pbmac

Apple made several different B & W's with different processor speeds..300, 350, 400 & 450 MHz. The 1 MB backside was on the 350, 400, & 450 MHz models.

Use the Apple System Profiler (in the Utility folder) to get the exact specs of your machine. It will give you alot of information that you will find interesting.

As for the instability, did you download and install the firmware update for the B & W? This is needed for OS X and is probably the reason for the problems you have been experiencing.

If you're not afraid of the command line, open Terminal.app and type:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

If it complains, try

sudo cat /proc/cpuinfo

Then enter your password.

If it still complains then /proc/cpuinfo probably isn't the right path, not sure if it varies between different Unix OSes. This is how I do it on my iBook running Linux.

I'd trust the machine to tell you its own speed more than some eBay reseller who may or may not know what he's talking about. If the Apple System Profiler (Apple Menu > About This Mac... > click the button) tells you that the clock speed is 400 Mhz, it's 400 Mhz.

Back