What's my system worth?

hazmat

Rusher of Din
I'm thinking of selling my setup in order to get a 12" PowerBook. I'll probably wait until they come out with a backlit keyboard for it though. But, anyone know what I could get for my system? It's a Power Mac G4 867 (Quicksilver) with 896 megs of RAM and 2 60-gig drives inside. Perfect condition. I also have my 17" LCD Studio Display, but I think I'd want to keep it for the PowerBook. Not sure.

Thanks.

I don't know how it is worth but if you're planning to sell it, try classified ads at a high price instead of auctions like eBay, where they sell for less.

For example, I paid US$380 for an iBook 366, 320 MB RAM, 4,6 GB Graphite, a good deal on eBay at that time. They sold for CA$1000 (US$720) in most classified ads in Montreal, (and most had 96 MB RAM!) while the new system (iBook G4) was like CA$1400... some people are stupid or in a hurry and may think your G4 is the deal of the century at $1500 while the 1,8 GHz is $2000...

I would recommend at least checking out on eBay for a quick comparison or to at least know the MINIMUM your machine should go for.

I personally have found eBay resale on Apple products to be unbelievably high. Great for sellers. But hey, if it's even higher in classified, wow.

I have pretty much the same machine. I'd be disappointed if it went for a penny less than on thousand. Hopefully, much more.

Here's an eBay 867:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51034&item=5101209492&rd=1

Looks like they're hovering a little under $1,000.

That's a dual 867 though. I can't believe someone would pay near $1000 for an 867 when you can get a dual 1.8 G5 for $2k.

E-Bay prices on Macs are much higher than what they probably should be, IMO. Yahoo! Auctions however are a bit more reasonable, within a good range if you're a buyer that is.

Powermax.com has two 867 G4s, one with 128mb ram for $999 and one with 640mb ram for $1299.

Being that you're selling it youself, I'd guestimate $1000 as the low end and $1300 as your top end. The RAM and HDs don't really add much value in the end, esp. with how cheap they are to grab now-a-days.

Powermax does take trade-ins, and they have some 1ghz G4 12" PBs with 256/40/combo for $1188.

Back