What's the deal with cookies?

Guzz2k

Registered
I'm using IE 5 on 10.2 and the stupid thing is being really selective about what it remembers and what it doesn't. For instance, it remembers my log-in information for a couple of sites, but then instantly forgets it for everything else. Like this site: I have to log in every time I visit even if the last time I did it was two minutes ago. IE won't automatically open Real files in Realplayer; I have to download the files to the desktop and open them from there. Same thing for web MPEGs.

What am I not doing right here?

Safari? Mozilla? Camino? please use some thing else, we all have to put up with IE for net banking, do we have to use it for other things?

Hey, criticising someone's choice of browser really doesn't help solve their problem. If IE is what you like using, then suit yourself. Its as good as any of them, no matter what anyone says.

Open IE and go to Explorer --> Preferences. Under the "Recieving files" heading there is "Cookies".

If it is set to "ask for each site" or "ask for each cookie" then it is possible that people have disabled cookies for the specific sites you mentioned. This is all very well when you want to surf onto some insecure ad-heavy sites and want to be able to choose which cookies to accept and reject as you go along. However, if you've said no to a cookie once, it will be marked as "decline" and will not work again. I'd suspect this is your problem.

You can change this by setting it to accept all cookies, or by selecting the list of cookies and switching them to "accept cookies". It will make sense when you go to do it. Just note that for each cookie on the list, it is possible to automatically accept or decline that cookie.

Like so many things, its handy once you know the feature is there, but a pain in the posterior if you don't.

These are not necessarily cookie related things.

1) Internet explorer has a feature to save passwords (Prefs-->Site Passwords)... but these are not cookies.

2) Some sites use cookies to do auto login... This is a seperate function from the IE passwords thing... Not all sites do this and even the ones that do will "remember" them for various lengths of time, and sometimes "forget" them when you perform a specific action on the site. (Others like eBay and Amazon use your cookie for basic stuff, but then still make you type your password in again for secure stuff.)

3) As far as getting IE to support helpers correctly...???? I have never made this work... The one tha bugs me the most is QuickTime... This is an Apple technology but the only installed browser on OS X doen't support it correctly. Grrrrr....

Back