Whats the Difference?

whitesaint

cocoa love
Hey can anybody help me with this? Well i know a good amount of C, i know alot of Objective C, but i dont know any of C++. I have read from many books that C++ is an object oriented language. If C++ and Objective C both focus on the language "C" in an object oriented way, whats the difference? All feedback is appreciated and welcome, thank you

-whitesaint

Kartoffel

5038 Member
<i>i know a good amount of C, i know alot of Objective C, but i dont know any of C++</i>

Oh, really? Learn some C++ to see the difference.

endian

Dis Member
C++ was developed for efficiency above all else. It moves as much decisionmaking as possible into compile-time and out of runtime. Objective-C was developed as a true OO language, with alot of information available at runtime that is thrown away in C++

C++ lacks all the dynamism of Objective-C - no delegation, no posing, no forward invocation, etc.

C++ has multiple inheritance, where a class can have more than one superclass, Obj-C doesn't.

C++ is the most common OO language in use today, Obj-C isn't.

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
I just had a question pop up in mu head :p

What is THE MOST efficient language out there? This is concerning all aspects of it, coding, compiliing, debugging, and running.
(Not just from the C family)

Admiral

PS: can anyone tell me who developed C and why it was called C ?? Someone told me this past summer and I was astounded lol :p

endian

Dis Member
PS: can anyone tell me who developed C and why it was called C ?? Someone told me this past summer and I was astounded lol
Dennis Kernighan & Brian Ritchie at Bell Labs. The language they were replacing was called B. :D

I wonder if there's an Objective-B lol

endian

Dis Member
I should also point out that C++ is a complex, unwieldy, barnacle-encrusted lumbering psychotic swine of a language. Objective-C isn't

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
I have to say that I generally dislike plain onld ANSI C ... I can tolerate it though and that is what matters ;)

bradleysmith

Registered
Machine code is the most efficient in terms of runtime speed and the most inefficient in terms of code maintenance :)

If God could program he would use C++. I hate Obj C but I may switch my views over the next few months as I use it more. Multiple inheritance and template classes are brilliant. Does Obj C support both of these?

Brad

rharder

Do not read this sign.
Multiple inheritance and template classes are brilliant.
I'm not familiar with what 'template classes' mean, but multiple inheritance being brilliant is questionable--it's more like bad form, though I admit it can make your life easier at times.

Are template classes like Java interfaces or Obj-C protocols?

-Rob

ladavacm

Unperson Spotter
Originally posted by rharder
Are template classes like Java interfaces or Obj-C protocols?

-Rob
No, but they are usually used to implement a similar concept in a non-dynamically strongly typed language. Same can be said about multiple inheritance.

Actually, both parameterized types (templates) and multiple inheritance are more general than either of Java interfaces or objective C protocols; in execution, C++ constructs can be made more efficient (assuming a decent compiler)

iconara

Registered
I agree that God would program C++ if he existed. He would prbably be the only one to understand it. To me, C++ is a too complex languages with too many ways of doing the same thing wrong. I personally prefer Java as the language of choice, but I realize that it is not the ideal platform, C++ and ObjC beeing truly compiled languages. Java, however, is a wonderful language, very consistent and rather difficult do make mistakes in. ObjC is comming a long way towards that consistency, dropping some of the more stupid possibilities of C++.

Theo Hultberg / Iconara

Please, don't start a war, I realize I am stepping on some toes here, forgive me.

free&unmuzzled

International Playboy
Originally posted by whitesaint
Hey can anybody help me with this? I know alot of Objective C...

-whitesaint
Originally posted by whitesaint
okay NSString is typically a name right? Like i remember in ResEdit, that the "string" resourse or somthin like that was where are the main stuff was that showed on the screen. yknow if like i had a star wars game, one of the "string" resourse would say "oh chewie shut up", well now in Mac OS X i know how to define the string by:

NSString *theString

(in the instance variable declaration part of the header file) but if i want a string to say somthing, like "oh chewie shut up" how would i define what "theString" means...?????? All feedback is welcome, appreciated, and thankful. Thanks

-whitesaint

:eek:

whitesaint

cocoa love
Hey i do know alot of Objective C, i may not have it perfect yet, but I do need help every once in a while. Besides im pretty sure the 2nd quote was posted about a month or so before the 1st one thank you very much.

-whitesaint:p

free&unmuzzled

International Playboy
Sorry, I was being mean (as usual). But since you are starting out, maybe you should say that you know "a litte" Obj C rather than "a lot"?:cool:

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
Just use NewtonScript damn it :p
"Its what java wants to be years before java was even conceived" (endian's quote from somewhere else on this board)

Newton forever! :D