What's with the religious banners up top??

solrac

Mac Ninja
I'm not against spreading word of anyone's religion, but those banners are sort of corny and have nothing to do with OS X.

Also, the site they come from, "etrakz.com", has a domain that has nothing to do with religion.

And some of the banners have no meaning.

Like there's one banner with a cartoon-lizard that says "Stick to Your commitment"

What commmitment? If a user were just browsing the site it would be completely random to them.

Another one has a cartoon chihuaha and the slogan "Sirve a Tu Amo". What if the viewer doesn't know spanish? Also, even if it was translated, it comes out to "Serve your Love". What does that mean?

And why is it a Chihuaha? Just because it's in Spanish?

Basically, etrakz.com is an unclear domain which only has one page and all they do is make unclear / corny banner ads to promote Catholicism / Christianity.

Shouldn't there be ads for hardware companies / Apple related web sites / RAM specials, etc.??

Just my $2.00 :eek:

Nothing against anyone's religion here either...
But I felt the same way, and since I'm using Mozilla I simply blocked all images from that server.

I much rather see Mac-related ads than ads that really don't do anything but preach. And if I click on it it has no information on anything (other than to put their "ads" on your page), nothing to see, nothing to buy... nothing... so what's the point of it being a "banner ad"? :p

Just my 2cents...
(no offence nor disrespect at all meant in this post).

Another one has a cartoon chihuaha and the slogan "Sirve a Tu Amo". What if the viewer doesn't know spanish? Also, even if it was translated, it comes out to "Serve your Love". What does that mean?

True, that message is targetted at the wrong audience. Those who are interested in knowing its meaning would flock to altavista.com and have it wrongly translated, as you stated above. Sirve A Tu Amo actually means... serve your master... the Lord.

I don't believe God exists, but those ads don't bother me. They sure are less annoying than YOU'RE A WINNER, CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE!

1.) If you _think_ the ads are targetted at the wrong audience on macosx.com, then they are targetting the right audience in _their_ opinion, they don't want to convert believers.

2.) I can't stand religious groups evangelizing, I don't know why exactly. Maybe - or probably - because I believe in personal freedom more than I believe in God - and religion is everything but personal freedom of thought in my opinion. If they were, they wouldn't be needed (and that's just what I'm saying).

3.) If macosx.com can keep up its service because they are paying good money, then so be it. OmniWeb shuts out those pictures, too, so I don't really care. I think it's only IE users or users who don't make use of other browsers' privacy features that see them.

4.) Live and let live. If they want to spread their word, let them. You don't have to click on that banner, do you?

Originally posted by fryke
1.) If you _think_ the ads are targetted at the wrong audience on macosx.com, then they are targetting the right audience in _their_ opinion, they don't want to convert believers

I made the statement that the particular ad featuring the chihuahua was targetted at the wrong audience. "Yo Quiero Taco Bell" is a simple statement and is easily understood by most anyone who ever took a spanish course. Sirve a tu amo, on the other hand...

Hmm, I did find it interesting the first time I saw it... heck, I think I even clicked on it. :shrugs:

heh... I think I posted earlier about the religious ads.... and they used to annoy me... they really did.

Now, however, it's interesting to see how much they annoy MacOSX.com's regular relatively-liberal audience. It's amazing how un-politically-correct political-correctness has become.... or maybe not... I think I just confused myself... geh!....crap!

Oh well. Who cares? Christ was a pretty nice guy, right? Didn't he heal people and stuff? That's what I've heard anyway... they could be rumors...

Well, I grew up Christian and I go to a Christian church so I can fully understand these banner ads. I think it is a good idea for them to be doing what they are doing, but quite frankly I think they are cheezy. And that's what makes them annoying to me. I never really noticed the spanish ones, but I have seen some of the others and it seems like they are always on this website, I could hit refresh a bunch of times and one out of ten times I see a mac-related ad, the rest are from the eTrakz. It's quite annoying like the rest of you are saying.

I just wanted to say I fully understand everyone's positions and stuff, and I don't want to infringe anything on anyone. But to whoever is making or putting up the ads, please just do a better job at it. You are actually turning away (in my opinion) more than you are attracting with the ads.

Anyways, I feel like I'm rambling......

3.) If macosx.com can keep up its service because they are paying good money, then so be it. OmniWeb shuts out those pictures, too, so I don't really care. I think it's only IE users or users who don't make use of other browsers' privacy features that see them.

Admin has stated that he makes no money from these banners.

Admin really makes little to no money off of the site... That means it comes from his pocket.

I'd say, if its his money offering us this service, I wouldnt complain about a minor thing such as this. It would be MUCH different if this was a paid membership site.

Either way it's his site, and he can do what he wants with it... Am I right?

yup
you are completely right. Admin deserves some appreciation for all his hard work, and time, and effort that he puts into this site.

ok... let me reply to everyone...

Tormente:
You're absolutely right. You click on a religious e-trakz banner and all you get is one page (like I said) with nothing on it except a script to place the banners on your own site.

The point of religion is to convert as many people as possible, and then control them with the scriptures, and get at least 1/10th of everyone's income.

Religion is a business, a strict, no holds barred business, and e-trakz isn't really converting people.

All they're doing is getting people to click on the banner, then when they arrive at the one web page, they most likely just get confused and leave.

The most e-trakz does is give little reminders to people who already ARE christian to stay that way.

Dusky:
LOL hell yeah I'd rather see an e-trakz banner ANY day than "PUNCH THE MONKEY AND WIN!!!"

Fryke:
you say
1.) If you _think_ the ads are targetted at the wrong audience on macosx.com, then they are targetting the right audience in _their_ opinion, they don't want to convert believers.
You got it all wrong.... The ads are targetted at the wrong audience on macosx.com whether they are believers OR NOT. Like I said, a non-believer will just be confused at the banners. Some of them don't even look religious... just corny. A believer (like I said) will simply get a little cheesy reminder to stay christian. But both believers and non-believers would probably much rather see special mac deals or macintosh ads. And trust me... etrakz is not soliciting web sites with their banner ads based on which sites are most likely to be more heavily populated by non-believers... there is no way on earth to find that information...

HyperliteG4:
You prove my point. You are christian and even STILL you think the ads are cheesy. That's because they are... religion doesn't play a part in the cheesiness. Both believers and non-believers alike, should both agree, the ads are SUPER cheesy, unclear, and pointless.

xaqintosh:
Totally, admin should get all the help he can and this site is much appreciated.

Couldn't admin make a couple hundred bucks a month extra per ad? I'm sure he could get 5 or 6 ads at least to pay $200 a month... maybe more. I don't know much about the valuation of online ads but I know this site has many viewers and if I were some hardware company, I'd probably pay $200 to have an ad on here...

k that is all...

Back