What's wrong with my Trash?

hazmat

Rusher of Din
I trashed a folder with about 4 gigs of stuff in it. Now I can't empty it and it's all weird. It's not a permissions things, but anything to try and do with it it will almost finish and then just sit there, saying 5 seconds to go. ~/.Trash is empty, and even if I trash something new, it will show up in there. It's just the old stuff that doesn't. Yet, if I click on the Trash in the Dock, the stuff is in there. What is going on here?

Thanks.

Open the terminal and type:

cd ~/.Trash
<hit return>

sudo rm -rf

put a space after the f and drag the item you want deleted to the terminal so that its path is automatically entered, then press return

give it your admin password and hit return

That's an idea, thanks. I seem to have emptied it somehow already, but if this happens again I will try that. I wonder if it's simply because it was such a large amount of data that I removed. Could that be? It was about 4 gigs.

Anyway, what I ultimately tried was Trash It! and it seemed to have emptied it. I'm not sure if it just time or the application, but whatever. Trash is really empty now. Next time I will just delete the stuff from the command line and not deal with the Trash. I thought there was a key combo to really delete stuff, as opposed to sending to the Trash, but I can't find it now.

Back