What's your favorite band and albums?

bjurusik

Registered
Personally I listen to all types of music, from rock, to rap, to funk, to jazz, to electronic, etc. My favorite bands would have to be Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, and Pearl Jam. Also up there is Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Coldplay, Nine Inch Nails, Deftones, Travis, Stereophonics, Blur, Led Zep, Rolling Stones ... I could go on but that's a general idea. And my favorite CD of all time is the Smashing Pumpkin's Siamese Dream with Radiohead's OK Computer coming in second and Coldplay's Parachutes third. How about all of you?

My favorite bands are System of a Down, KoRn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Linkin Park, Nirvana, Tenacious D, Queens Of The Stone Age, Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine and "Weird Al" Yankovic and my favorite albums are:

1. Self Titled - System of a Down
  2. Self Titled - KoRn
  3. Toxicity - System of a Down
  4. Steal This Album - System of a Down
  5. Songs For the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age
  6. Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York
  7. Self Titled - Tenacious D
  8. Nirvana - Nevermind
  9. Self Titled - Audioslave
  10. Nirvana - In Utero
    [/list=1]

...any kind of music out there but I have one artist somewhat above others for many reasons...

--> David Bowie <--

-I'm not into drugs or anything...
-I'm not gay...
-I'm not THAT old...
-And yes, I like the so called "Rock" music...
-And no, I like the 90s-00s version of Bowie better than the Bowie of say, 70s...
-And yes, David Bowie is one of the few living legends of truly artistic ways

My name is Hulkaros and I'm a David Bowie and Apple fan! ;) :D

PS.Some of the best Bowie stuff out there are:
-Bowie Live At The BBC2000 CD
-The Best Of David Bowie DVDs and CDs
-Heathen

SOAD - SOAD
by the way - RHCP
the burning red - machine head
to record only water for 10 days - john frusciante
californication - RHCP

I love all types of music, notably Jazz, and electronic. But I would really like to add that some music composed for video games is really good. Take Chrono Trigger for example. I think video game music is underappreciated. The Japanese orchestrated CD of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was awesome! :)

-Perseus

Top 3 selection in each style:

PROGRESSIVE ROCK

- King Crimson / Robert Fripp
- Soft Machine / Robert Wyatt
- David Sylvian

EXPERIMENTAL

- Brian Eno
- The Future Sound of London
- Aphex Twin

HARD ROCK

- Led Zeppelin
- Metallica
- Judas Priest

INDUSTRIAL

- Rammstein
- Ministry
- Frontline Assembly

ELECTRONIC

- The Chemical Brothers
- The Prodigy
- Leftfield

DRUM AND BASS

- Black Sun Empire
- Special Forces / Photek Records
- Total Science

TECHNO

- Carl Cox
- Technasia / Sino Records
- Jeff Mills

Habilis, I enjoyed listening to your audio project very much. I'm a total Brian Eno fan, so you can imagine I liked much of your audiowork.

If I had one criticism to make, I'd say the drum patterns are the weak parts of your tracks (for those who have one obviously). The drums don't sound as great as the rest of your instruments.

I think you would probably enjoy Patrick O'Hearn, if you see this name in a record shop, just give it a try :)

My favorite bands include:

Tea Leaf Green
Keller Williams
Jack Johnson
Ben Harper
Dave Matthews Band
String Cheese Incident
Sound Garden
Primus

toast: thanks. yeah the songs I have up there aren't to complicated in the drum sequences, it's all work in evolution. And about your favorites, FSOL is awesome I almost forgot about them, Dead Cities is my favorite album if I was forced to choose, also, the 2-CD Selected Ambient Works by Aphex Twin is my favorite. I also just remebered how much I love Meat Beat Manifesto, very intelliegent ambient, you might like it..

omegaman:
OK Computer is a perfect 10 album, I love radiohead.

my list changes often, so right now my list goes like this.
1. bad religion (haven't listened to them in years, but i had an itch, so that is what i listen to most now)
2. dave matthews band.
3. tool
4. incubus
5. atmosphere (real hip hop, not that glam rap sh!t on the radio or mtv)

but then there is the weekend, and i go to the clubs/raves, whatever (and no, i am not a crazy drug addict party kid :) )
1. dj rap (jungle, drum & bass)
2. dj marky (jungle, with a funky brazilian flavor)
3. pretty much any jungle or drum & bass.
4. or some really good speed garage

damn. these lists are hard to do. i listen to everything except country and pop.
edit= oh yeah, i have been listening to alot of jack johnson lately too. there is a show coming up, jack johnson & ben harper. i can't wait for that :)

all kinds of music is tight for me right now, i haven't listened to a lot of country lately but in the car the only station i could get was a country one and i discovered it really isn't that bad. rock/hip-hop and rap (especially the old stuff)/alternative/dj mixes/ and just about anything else. I don't really know the names of music but one of my best cd's now is linkin park - reanimation. I just got a counting crow's cd and its real good stuff... and how can you not like sean paul or eminem ( his new single is real good - sing it? can't find the cd it's on though)? I just wish I had more time to listen to music... I have way too more then I could ever listen too. I want an iPod! Cd's are a pain to carry and use.

coldplay is real good, tupac is a real good listen, on the rock end a lot of the pop rock, system too, I wish I could find the xecutioners album but haven't seen it lately; it looks really good...

Originally posted by xyle_one
3. tool

Tool 'Lateralus' is produced by David Botrill from King Crimson. Few people know the connection between both groups. But there is one for sure !

Habilis, 'Dead Cities' was the first album of FSOL I discovered, compltely perchance. It's a 100% masterpiece. Songs like Quagmire, In a State of Permanent Abyss, etc., are the exact continuation of Brian Eno's ambient work, with better technical material and a new reflexion about sampling that Brian Eno did not have. His work stays, however, milestone #1 of all ambient/illbient/experimental music.

Best Aphex Twin of all time: Drukqs (2CDs) and maxi EP 'Come to Daddy', which includes one of his best songs, 'Bucephalus Bouncing Ball' ! His 'Classics' are great too.

Meat Beat would have appeared on my list if I had made a top 5 for each category ;)

---

What about concerts ? Some of the bands quoted in this thread I've seen in concerts:

- Incubus (Reading Festival 2002) #great#
- Rammstein (Eurockéennes, Belfort, France 2002) #excellent concert#
- The Chemical Brothers (Belfort) #excellent too#
- Prodigy (Reading) #mind-blowing#
- Travis (Belfort) #nice#

ummm most canadian rock bands i like...
sum41
treblecharger
avirllavigne
andystochansky

and then i like
goodcharlotte
newfoundglory
blink182
boxcarracer
brandnew
incubus
hoobastank
chevelle
audioslave
americanhi-fi
jimmyeatworld
dashboard confessional
somethingcorporate
redhotchilipeppers
googoodolls

aaand that's all.

Originally posted by Androo
sum41
blink182
incubus
jimmyeatworld

... were all present at Reading Festival. Come with me a Reading this year, Metallica's on tour ! ::evil::

I listen a lot to:
The Beatles (yay!)
Uriah Heep (especially very 'eavy, very 'umble)
Metallica (Always liked them)
Dream Theater (Fantastic music! 'Images and Words' is wonderfull!)
Apocalyptica (Their first album was really great)
Deep Purple (Machinehead rocks!)
Queen (The Live album Killers was very very good)
Blind Guardian (Nightfall on MiddleEarth)
Rhapsody (Good singer, nice classical influences)

I also used to listen a lot to Manowar, Laibach and Covenant, but that has passed a bit now ...

BTW. I own most of that music on LP or cassette ...

Embodyment -- Rock from Dallas
the Benjamin Gate -- Rock from South Africa
Parkway -- Rock w/ a good groove
the Hockets -- a band on my college campus
Mars Ill -- Underground hip-hop

-JARinteractive

You kids listen to some crazy music.:D

I find I'm listening to a band I first noticed when I was watching Cowboy Bebop. The band's name is &#33733;&#37326;&#12424;&#12358;&#23376; (Seatbelts).

I also listen to:

Cowboy Junkies
Semisonic
Liz Phair
Swing Out Sister
Foo Fighters
Ramones (yes I'm getting old)
Talking Heads (now I know I'm old)

Plus a whole lot more.

Back