When did apple do away with window transparency?

boyfarrell

Registered
Hi folks,

My first mac ran 8.5 I then left the the mac world but recently returned an use tiger. So it what version of OSX did apple use transparency? Why did they get rid of it? Why is Vista coping it?! :D

Dan

Transparency is still used quite often in OS X. For example, all menus are semi-transparent, as is the Dock.

In earlier version of OS X, the title bars of inactive windows were also semi-transparent. This was done away with in 10.3, IIRC. It was never a very useful or attractive feature, so I'm glad they ditched it.

Vista seems to be taking this a step further by making even the main body of even active windows semi-transparent. Go figure.

I don't think you can really say MS is copying Apple here, though, because Vista's effects are really a step above anything Apple's done, or even could have done when OS X was first released. Vista's visual effect is actually pretty neat, with the light streaks, slight blurring and tinting.....but as with OS X's old semi-transparent title bars, I don't think it's very useful.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple use more dynamic visual effects in Leopard. Before Tiger it would have been sickeningly impractical, but with Tiger's Core Image, the performance hit wouldn't be much greater than the transparency and stuff we see now.

It should be exciting to see what apple comes up with for Leopard. I'm kind of ambivalent about it; it one respect I would like apple to kick MS ass and show off but on the other hand I think I would prefer an OS that as well has being pretty just made things easy and intuitive to do. I don't think eyecandy can necessarly give this kind of functionality.

I would like to see quicksilver functionaliy built into osx.

It's strange the real power of the GUI is to enable stupidly fast keyboard navigation!

Back