When do we get some WINE?

James Bond

Registered
Any likelihood of WINE(*) being available any time soon as compiled binaries for Mac OS X?

* Wine is an implementation of the Windows 3.x and Win32 APIs on top of X and Unix. Think of Wine as a Windows compatibility layer. Wine provides both a development toolkit (Winelib) for porting Windows sources to Unix and a program loader, allowing unmodified Windows 3.1/95/NT binaries to run under Intel Unixes. Wine works on most popular Intel Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, ...

www.winehq.com

WINE assumes that you have x86 hardware, that is why WINE is on linux/unix OSes on the x86 platform but not on UNIXes on PPC or other platforms. Just the APIs wont do you any good if you dont have tha hardware that they require.

Admiral

I would hazard to guess that you need some sort of emulator that sits between WINE and the PPC hardware to translate the instructions that the APIs give to and from the hardware.

Does anyone have any experience with Bochs? (http://bochs.sourceforge.net) It's a software x86 emulator that supposedly runs on "any" platform, except for the obvious porting that goes on for local graphics and such. Actually, I don't know if it supports graphics or just command line stuff. I just stumbled onto their site the other day...

-Rob

I have used bochs (with DOS).
Tried playing around with it for a while but it seems sooo slow.

Admiral

When VirtualPC for OS X comes out you can run FreeBSD or Linux on it and run WINE using XDarwin on the OS X-side. This would probably be faster than running XFree86 on VirtualPC.

Then again you could run a pee cee in the closet so it's only practical for people who have limited space or are using PowerBooks.

Have heard rumours of a MacOS X version of Virtual PC being in development - anyone know anything specifically?

Havent heard of VPC for OS X for a while now.
I dont know whats going on, but I hope that it comes out soon.

Admiral
PS: can you shorten your signature file? No need to really know your PC configs, just your OS X machine config :)

Well Connectix (reference from www.connectix.com) said VPC for OSX should be do out this summer, maybe around July.

I'm waiting patiently for it. Maybe we can run Linux and actually play DVDs under it, since Apple is taking freaking long to unlease a DVD player. Damn, I hate dual booting. It's hard to do work or other work when I gotta reboot from one OS to the other. and I refuse to run OS9. Don't hate me but I rather have a PC and run Windoze2000 than os9.

I'm a simple person. I just need basic internet utils, a burning software, a dvd/vcd player, and I'm happy. OSX cant even do the basic for me yet... but I'm still giving it a chance to be my windows replacement. Hopefully the dream of a non-M$ world will come true.

Well, I have LinuxPPC2000Q4, and YellowdogLinux ready incase OSX turns out to be a utter failure. LinuxPPC is running great on my 7300. :) and I heard there is successes in playing DVD under Linux... there;s a few great burning software for it too! woohoo!

Come apple... do your stuff! I still have faith... don't let me down again!

Can you use non-KDE environments with Q4 ? I have Q1 and everytime I try to change enviromentnt it returns me to the login screen (from the login screen) and my passwords are corrupted, so I have to format and reinstall.

I gave up on linux lol :p
I sent the penguin back to the zoo :p

Admiral

Have you tried editing your .Xinit files to load only TWM (The Window Manager)? Generally speaking, if twm doesn't work, you're screwed.

just my two pennies...

Nope, didnt edit anything, everything is out of the box lol (which is probably a bad idea in linux :p). Maybe once I mainstream my OS X from Secondary my partition to the main parition, I will reload it and play around with it)

Admiral

Actually, you may not need to run linux.

There's several beta GNU software out there, that you can probably compile or port to darwin or Xdarwin...

DVD players are one of them, but it wont use hardware acelleration. There's also some GNU CD burners... that might work under Darwin. Damn it, I must be slow or something. How come I never thought about doing that earlier. Actually I love Toast5. I cant wait for a working OSX version. But if you cant wait... try porting the GNU over... I'm sure you can do a command line "cdrecord" ... some how.

I heard that VPC will be implement similar to how Classic is. So you can run Windows applications transparently on osX... or Linux apps transparent... well it heard it from some source.. Not sure if it's reliable.

Damn this economy, I wish I had more time to play with osx! I want to show my collegue it can be better than linux and irix (as a desktop). :)

VPC will be like classic ???:eek:

Hmmmmm:confused:
and what will happen to people like me who like to experiment with installing x86 OSs and running them to see what makes 'em tick, and so on (without getting an x86 machine ofcourse :p ):confused:

Admiral

If connectix supports window environment sharing, it will be windows-only and will likely break with every new version of windows.

Personally I would be more interested in OpenGL support.

Back