When I can watch movie?

PoweMACuser

Registered
Apple have declared that its technology is the most advanced.

But but...When can I watch AVI movie, divx movie, dat movie? All these formats are very common on the internet and they are existing for a long ... long time. But Apple never be able to fully support them. Divx player never works although some body has said that it works. Hopefully it is true. It just doesn't work for my computer. iTune can't play .au file, fortunately quicktime can.

It is said BeOS is multimedia operating system, Does BeOS have a full version for Macintosh? I would rather to try.

lol :p
"found on the internet"...
ok ok dont mean to play with your pain.
There are DiVX programs out there for the mac (or the codecs to use with quicktime) although I have never used them

BeOS 4.5 is available for the mac, but only 603 macs I think. Some 604 chips were supported but not all.

Admiral

But but...When can I watch AVI movie, divx movie, dat movie?

First off, there are several plug ins for QuickTime that will allow you to play a DiVX movie. Some suck, some are OK. I'm using one that seems to work OK. Not sure of what it's name is. Go to versiontracker.com, search for divx, and try what's available.

As for AVI's, I know QuickTime pro has no problems playing them. Not sure if the free version will or not. Also, Windows Media Player handles AVI's fine too.

I'm not sure what a dat movie is, so I can't help you there.

But there are several other multimedia players other than QuickTime available. Just search versiontracker and see what works.

Cheers,
SerpicoLugNut

I have tried a lot. only the divx player for windows media player 6.1 works. Other tools I can find never works.

Quicktime pro can play AVI, that is v. 4.0, from 4.0.2, quicktime never works with AVI file. But now I can't find the older and the older version is not supported by the new 9.1 and 9.2.x

Are you even using OS X?

If you are using WMP 6 I am suspect that you are still on OS 9...

If that's the case, the obvious answer is to move to X....

I have no problem playing AVIs in QT 5 Pro under OS X. DiVX AVI's play fine too with one of the many DiVX plugins for QT.

If you are using QT 4, upgrade to 5. It's definitely worth it (along with OS X)

It feels to me like I can play a wider variety of media files on 9 than I can in X on the school machines. Maybe that's because I have Real and Windowmedia player, too. Actually, that's most definately the reason. I'll shut up now. ;)

1) I get decent enough performance from Real 8 under Classic (10.1.2 leaked, 9.2.1), but of course I am also on an unsupported machine, so that doesn't count for much.

2) You may need the Indeo Video 5 codec for AVI files (non-DivX). I have run across quite a few IV5-based AVI files from friends and even online. It just isn't as popular as DivX these days though.

3) 'dat' movies are used on SVCD and VCD discs. They are the extension given for the CD-i standard, which grew into the VCD standard. Under OS 9, any single-track VCD is playable using QT and pointing it at the .dat file. Ironically, this doesn't work under Windows. Under OS X, you have to find a way to extract it and 'convert' it. OS X seems to be just as picky as Windows is about the extension/etc. of MPEG-1 files. Bugger. Seems to me a quick .dat to .mpg extension change will fix that and put the proper metadata on HFS+ volumes. UDF won't have the metadata.

4) QT5 and earlier don't have MPEG-2 support. This is due to many reasons, the biggest being the fact that licensing fees are rather large for 'licensed' MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 programs, especially those enjoying the download counts of WMP and QT. This prevents Apple from doing MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 all at once without having to use the hardware to protect their bottom line more than they already do. QT Pro may just break even at current prices... I don't know how the small-fry MPEG-2 player creators on the PC pull it off, but they barely play it without crashing like crazy. The good ones cost a good 20$ and do nothing but play DVD/MPEG-1/MPEG-2. Geez.

So, in short. There is a ways to go with QT, but it is fairly capable for most purposes except Real Media and MPEG-2. DivX is a little iffy, but I manage, and if I encounter a DivX that grates my 300Mhz CPU (640x480 movies for example), I just re-encode to 320x240 Sorenson 3 :)

Back