When is Dreamweaver coming?

with the MAJOR financial probs MACR is having, who knows?

i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't update their remaining apps till summer. :mad:

If they brought out their software for OS X, they'd get WAY more revenue coming in. I'd be buying 2 titles myself.

In last weeks earnings report from Macromedia, they stated that "Macromedia expects revisions to some of its core products, including Flash and Dreamweaver, will allow the company to return to profitability within two quarters". So, at the very latest, we should have both Flash and Dreamweaver within two quarters. But really, if they expect the sales of both those products to impact revenues within two quarters, then the products would have to be out for awhile, right?

So, I'm guestimating that within 2 - 2.5 months we'll see these apps released. If not, some Macromedia shareholders are going to have CEO Rob Burgess' head on a paltter for making flase statements in earnings reports.

Plus, Macromedia has some fierce competition coming with GoLive6 and LiveMotion2 in the next month. I doubt they can afford to wait any longer to release these apps. Shoot - they first showed Dreamweaver and Fireworks running under OS X at MWNY 2000 - when Apple debuted the Cube!

Talk about vaporware!

Urgh. I've just given GoLive 6 a try. While I'm sure it's a good program for those who use it, after an hour with it, I realized why I switched to Dreamweaver almost 3 years ago.

Setting up a site in GoLive is so much more involved than in Dreamweaver, and GoLive creates these extra folders for data it needs, whereas Dreamweaver creates no files (other than your sites .html and images).

Also, I couldn't figure out how to create or edit a table. The interface for this is not nearly as intuitive as Dreamweaver either.

I'm gonna read up on these and see if I can't figure them out, but I'm really disappointed. After the 1st hour of using GoLive6 under OS X, I started up Classic and reverted to Dreamweaver, and actually liked using it in Classic more than GoLive under OS X.

Here's hoping Macromedia get's Dreamweaver 5 out SOON!

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Urgh. I've just given GoLive 6 a try. While I'm sure it's a good program for those who use it, after an hour with it, I realized why I switched to Dreamweaver almost 3 years ago.

Setting up a site in GoLive is so much more involved than in Dreamweaver, and GoLive creates these extra folders for data it needs, whereas Dreamweaver creates no files (other than your sites .html and images).

Also, I couldn't figure out how to create or edit a table. The interface for this is not nearly as intuitive as Dreamweaver either.

That is your personal opinion of course. WHen I switched from Dreamweaver to GoLive, table editing was one of the things I loved in GoLive. You just haven't figured out how to use it, but one look into the tutorial and you would have found the magic window which gives you a great access (and a great layout view) to tables. It is floating there, you just have to use it.

I think it comes down to personal taste. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Then again, the WYSIWYG-editor-war is nearly as hot as the browser-war used to be ;)

It is my personal opinion about ease of use, but it's a fact that GoLive drops all these extra folders of data it uses in your site, while Dreamweaver doesn't...

Also, another oddity...

I have a online photo album I created. It's an index page that points to several folders, each with a Web Gallery created in Photoshop. The folder is called "Pictures"

Upon importing my site in to GoLive 6, it changed the .html pages in the Pictures folder to a text listing of them - without even asking first!

I'm gonna run through a tutorial and see how it stacks up, but my initial impressions are still not very good.

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
It is my personal opinion about ease of use, but it's a fact that GoLive drops all these extra folders of data it uses in your site, while Dreamweaver doesn't...

OK, that's kinda annyoing, I agree.

I'm not going to reward macromedia for being slow as molasses on DWX, i'm switching to GoLive 6. I'll get used to the differences, I just hate to use classic period.

But the speed of the latest betas of GoLive6 have not been impressive. Dreamweaver 4 runs much faster and feels more responsive in Classic than GoLive6 does under OS X on a G4/800DP.

I'm hoping that it's just a reflection of it still being in beta, but I don't have much hope. From all I've read GoLive5 was a sloth too.

That said, I'll probably buy it if Macromedia takes too long.

What can I say - I'm a sucker for carbonized apps...

My job requires that I churn out HTML very very quickly. Although I can code by hand, I can get the job done 10 times faster with a (decent) GUI editor.

Seriously, BBEdit is nice for tweaking code, but really, the days of the text editor have come and gone. I still have friends who prefer to code that way, but they are also still using System 8.5 on a Wallstreet Powerbook - they obviously are adverse to utilizing new tools to get the job done faster...

I mean, would you want to lay out pages for print by writing postcript code by hand?

I don't think so....

Well, coding HTML all in a text editor is nice!

EVERY webdesigner should be able to do it, else, you will never *really* understand HTML. Then again, HTML isn't hard to understand.

I kinda like the way ColdFusion works! There are things where I am happy that GoLive exists, if, as Serpicolugnut mentioned, you have to do complicated things (like REALLY cascaded tables) fast AND GoLive and Dreamweaver have great things like "custom site elements". In these days, in which frames are nearly gone in the professional sector, I am happy that I can create for example a "menu element", place it on a dozen sites, and if something changes, I just have to change the element and not all twelve sites. If you are working for customers which can't afford a CMS, this really comes in handy!

WYSIWYG-Editors have their place in the webdesign world!

Every web designer should know HTML well enough to be able to code it with nothing more than a text editor

That said... Coding raw HTML these days is like using a single propeller plane to cross the Atlantic... Yeah, it can get the job done, but there's this thing called the JET that can do it 10x as fast.

Knowing HTML is indespensible though, because even with WYISWYG editors, there will come a time when delving in to the code will be essential.

I kind of find it funny when HTML "Nazis", as I call them (designers who learned HTML and got stuck on using text editors, and who can't adapt to desigh using WYSIWYG editors) use their text editors on a OS (windows or mac) that's GUI based. You have a GUI OS - but you still insist on using a text based editor?

Anyway - just picked up GoLive4 off of eBay for $26... So, if Dreamweaver doesn't show up for OS X soon, I'll probably go ahead and upgrade to 6 for $99 and see if I can make use of it...

I do all my coding by hand most of the time, but that may be because I haven't had a tool like dreamweaver to use. When I have used Dreamweaver before it seemed very nice to me. An OS X version would be even better!

Back