When is Mac OS 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After two years, only 20% of Mac users are OS X users so I'd say OS XI is many, many years off.

I agree. I guess we'll see 10.3, 10.4, 10.5 in yearly updates.

That would mean 10.3 in 2003 etc., so we might see Mac OS Eleven in 2010, although a strategic move might change this a bit earlier.

Also keep in mind that we're in UN*X-land now, where people can count to more than ten, so a

Mac OS X 10.14

is not out of question.

I believe that 10.2 was the original Mac OS X 11. I've read that apple shifted the decimal point on the usual numbering because they want to postpone things like "Mac OS Ten Eleven"

Originally posted by kendall
After two years, only 20% of Mac users are OS X users so I'd say OS XI is many, many years off.

20%!? I thought Jobs said over 50% of Mac users switched to Mac OS X already...maybe Im wrong?:confused:

im sorry but what is the purpose of this thread ? do u even CARE when its goin to come out? if u where askin about os X.3 it would be rather logical. :)

BTW. does any1 know WHEN we should be expecting 10.3 ? around august?

Originally posted by Stridder44
20%!? I thought Jobs said over 50% of Mac users switched to Mac OS X already...maybe Im wrong?:confused:

Well, there are roughly 25 million Mac users and 5 million of them are OS X users so that's about 20%.

Well, there are roughly 25 million Mac users and 5 million of them are OS X users so that's about 20%.

hahahahahha
hahahah
... so ur sayin that u know the numbers better than Steve Jobs right?
... its OBVIOUSLY clear that YOU are not the one who is mistaken . so i guess we should believe u . and think that there are only 20% os X users!!!

and according to ur accurate reports. since os 9 will be disabled in newer systems very soon. anyONE out of that 80% non-OSX-users, will be forced to use OS X since they are buyin a new mac. I GUESS that would be a very bad move on apples part, and many ppl would be disapointed..

but since i prefer steves values instead of urs. i guess theres no harm done:)

Originally posted by stealth
hahahahahha
hahahah
... so ur sayin that u know the numbers better than Steve Jobs right?
... its OBVIOUSLY clear that YOU are not the one who is mistaken . so i guess we should believe u . and think that there are only 20% os X users!!!

and according to ur accurate reports. since os 9 will be disabled in newer systems very soon. anyONE out of that 80% non-OSX-users, will be forced to use OS X since they are buyin a new mac. I GUESS that would be a very bad move on apples part, and many ppl would be disapointed..

but since i prefer steves values instead of urs. i guess theres no harm done:)

What is wrong with you? Jobs said there are 25 million Mac users and that 5 million of them are OS X users. Do the math. It's quite simple really. We're not talking about projected OS X users. We're talking about OS X users today, and today, roughly 20% of Mac users are OS X users.

Watch the MWSF'03 video at the beginning (apple.com/quicktime/) - kendall's right, he's basically quoting what Steve said.

...oh, and by the way, Windows XP is probably the most solid release of Windows I've seen to date...not that it means much :).

What is wrong with you? Jobs said there are 25 million Mac users and that 5 million of them are OS X users. Can you not do the math? It's quite simple really. We're not talking about projected OS X users. We're talking about OS X users today, and today, roughly 20% of Mac users are OS X users.

Fully agree with the %age of users.

Now what is of interest is the percentage of OSX users that buy new software (if you sell software), or the percentage of hours are spend on the Internet by OSX users (if you run a web site for OSX users), or the percentage of users have OSX compatible software (if you want to sell a Mac that operates only OSX).... How many people still use a Mac Plus on OS 6 or a Mac 7200 on OS 8.6 is not that relevant for people that want to make money selling software or hardware.

Therefore the 50% of Steve is the relevant number for the future of Mac OS.

Snowball: we didn't really want to know that! ;)
Really though, it is actually quite a good Operating System, just I like OS X better.

Originally posted by Snowball
...oh, and by the way, Windows XP is probably the most solid release of Windows I've seen to date...not that it means much :).

im sorry. but windows users wanna go back to WINDOWS 98 after having used XP. does that give u a hint?

i dont know about 98, mabye 2000... xp is just fine for all those people who dont use the computer for more then typing, aim and internet.

yes but nowadays MOST ppl use there computer for more than that. they record cds. they watch DVDs , play games...
and a huge list of problems can occur from these simple operations :)

Windows XP Media Center new OS from M$ is uppon us! The same with hardware enabled for use with that OS... So, the best version for consumers for now and on, is XP Media Center!!! Welcome, to the future! :D :D :D

PS. XtraPain Media Center: Now we give you extra pains gathered into one place which called the media center so it will be easier for you to calm down when a problem occurs... Said one M$ representative :D :D :D

As for Mac user base it is very simple actually: Jobs said that there are 5 million OS X users in MWSF but does anyone know FOR SURE how many Mac users actually still exist? Yes, we all have heard about the so-called 25 millions Mac users but I think that's not true... And if it was true some years ago, now it must be lower... Also, I am sure that in coming months the X user base will significally increase simply because there will not be a new 9 user base... All posible future Mac users will also be X users. As Jobs said: X is the future of the Mac! And that's great news fellas :D no matter what numbers say...

As for the guys who supported Kendal on his post of 25 million of Mac users... Where exactly Jobs said in his MWSF keynote that the installed Mac user base is 25 millions?

ok, now everyone can shaddup about the 25 million. :)

http://www.apple.com/myths/

In all, over 25 million people use Macs in their homes, offices and schools every day.

Well if Apple says it, it must be true. Kind of like how the Dual 1.25mhz G4 is a BLAZING 90% faster than the 2.53mhz Pentium 4. Please. Everyone knows it isn't. I am a mac lover (for the past 1.5 years), and even being new at this I can tell Apple likes to manipulate data to make themselves look better. I bet the figure for 25 million mac users is counting every student that has ever used one in school, or every order for a mac in the past 15 years minus a certain percentage. There really is no accurate way to know, and I would bet 25 million is a LOT more than the number of people who use macs everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back