When is Mac OS 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by kendall
ok, now everyone can shaddup about the 25 million. :)

http://www.apple.com/myths/

In all, over 25 million people use Macs in their homes, offices and schools every day.

Yep... As I said before we all have heard about the 25 million user base but the ACTUAL figure is lower... As for the figure you found there it says alot: Schools, offices... In our schools here in Greece kids have PeeCees. In our offices here in Greece we also have PeeCees. But and this is a big BUT: Some people maybe up to couple of thousands here in Greece have Macs...

That's why I insist that the actual figure of Mac user base is lower even if it hearts me... I believe that the 25 million figure is like the 5% of Macs in general: We all know that this is the "old" same number which we get nowadays while we know that this is indeed lower :(

As for Apple giving numbers so they must be correct: You know what? They are! That's why Apple says in myths that indeed the Mac users around the world are 25 millions and they go on and mention where exactly that number can be found: Homes, offices, schools, etc. They NEVER stated that there are 25 million of home Mac users so back of about that number and shuddup too!!!

It is like Sony saying that they shipped 40 millions of PS2s around the world: Where exactly? To the home users? Nope! You can find PS2 stacked up inside shops, super markets, etc. That doesn't mean that 40 millions of consumers enjoying their PS2s now, does it?

Okay. No more yelling at each other, please. I'm moving the thread to opinions, as the original question has long been answered and the thread is basically an exchange of opinions about various things.

Originally posted by hulkaros
Yep... As I said before we all have heard about the 25 million user base but the ACTUAL figure is lower... As for the figure you found there it says alot: Schools, offices... In our schools here in Greece kids have PeeCees. In our offices here in Greece we also have PeeCees. But and this is a big BUT: Some people maybe up to couple of thousands here in Greece have Macs...

That's why I insist that the actual figure of Mac user base is lower even if it hearts me... I believe that the 25 million figure is like the 5% of Macs in general: We all know that this is the "old" same number which we get nowadays while we know that this is indeed lower :(

As for Apple giving numbers so they must be correct: You know what? They are! That's why Apple says in myths that indeed the Mac users around the world are 25 millions and they go on and mention where exactly that number can be found: Homes, offices, schools, etc. They NEVER stated that there are 25 million of home Mac users so back of about that number and shuddup too!!!

It is like Sony saying that they shipped 40 millions of PS2s around the world: Where exactly? To the home users? Nope! You can find PS2 stacked up inside shops, super markets, etc. That doesn't mean that 40 millions of consumers enjoying their PS2s now, does it?

You're making absolutely no sense whatsoever. I never said "home" users. Also, it is not whether there are more or less than 25 million physical Mac computers in the world. It that 25 million individuals are using Macs today. At home, work or school, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter whether these individuals have more than one Mac. Once again, it has absolutely nothing to do with how many physical Mac computers there are in the world or how many have shipped! Your PS2 analogy does not coincide with this argument.

The bottom line is, Apple states that there are rougly 25 million Mac users and out of those 25 million Mac users five million of them use OS X. Thus, 20% of Mac users are OS X users. That's it. It is not anymore complicated than that!

Anyway, I would trust Apple more than someone who argues on the basis that Some people maybe up to couple of thousands here in Greece have Macs...

Have you counted these people individually? Did you conduct a survey? Do you have their names and computer make and models? How many of them use OS 9 compared to OS X? Give me a break, you're arguing a dead point.

Also, its not whether the number is exactly correct. It is constant state of flux. That's why I said "roughly 25 million."

So once again lets go over what we have learned today. There are roughly 25 million people using Macs based on IDC's industrial analysis. Of those 25 million people using Macs, 5 million of them are using OS X. Thus, 20% of Mac users are running OS X. Class dismissed. :)

...not!

I could go on and give you details on how I've got the 2000 figure but it is hopeless...

I couldn't make you say the truth about XP...
"XP IS ROCK SOLID" you said...

I'm still laughing on that!

So, what are my chances of me to convince you about a figure? Slim to say the least, I know!

Anyways, thanks for the class Mr.Kendal the teacher but no thanks!

:D

fine, lets go ahead with your logic for a moment. lets say theres not 25 million mac users. lets pretend apple is grossly exaggerating the # to make themselves look better. lets assume then they are doing the same for the 5 million os x users. why would they exaggerate one figure and not the other? so you see, either way, by your logic, roughly 20% of mac users are os x users! :D and please, spare me the lecture that they're lying about one figure but not the other. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by kendall
fine, lets go ahead with your logic for a moment. lets say theres not 25 million mac users. lets pretend apple is grossly exaggerating the # to make themselves look better. lets assume then they are doing the same for the 5 million os x users. why would they exaggerate one figure and not the other? so you see, either way, by your logic, roughly 20% of mac users are os x users! :D and please, spare me the lecture that they're lying about one figure but not the other. :rolleyes:

First of all, thank you for the personal warning and if I offended you Sir, I truly apologize but also did you pause for a moment and think about your previous saying:? "ok, now everyone can shaddup about the 25 million" What do YOU honestly think? Is it a nice way to reply? Anyways, just a thought! :rolleyes:

Now, back on the subject: Who said that Apple is exaggerating numbers? Surely not me...

I said: "As for Apple giving numbers so they must be correct: You know what? They are! That's why Apple says in myths that indeed the Mac users around the world are 25 millions and they go on and mention where exactly that number can be found: Homes, offices, schools, etc. They NEVER stated that there are 25 million of home Mac users"

And I never said to YOU to go with my logic or even agree with it...

I said: "I could go on and give you details on how I've got the 2000 figure but it is hopeless..." and also "So, what are my chances of me to convince you about a figure? Slim to say the least, I know!"

Believe, know, feel whatever you like that's what you are going to do anyways...

I will just believe that the actual number of OS X installed base is 5 millions of users...

Does that matter to me if it is accurate or no? Nope! Do I care? Nope! Do I have to convince you about it? Nope! Do I care if Apple lies in its numbers or not? Nope!

What I do care for, is that I enjoy being a Mac tech and user more than most people enjoy ANY computer out there and also being a proud member of www.macosx.com and www.helmug.gr and Mac community in general... Oh! And one more thing: A VERY proud owner of an Apple Titanium PowerBook 15.2 1GHz with DVD-R ;)

I really hope that you will have a good day Mr.Kendal! ;)

Take your private wars to private messages. Or open a new thread in opinions about those numbers. Although I must say, I don't think it's of interest to many people, as we all know that statistics tend to lie.

Linux is a sort of UNIX.
Mac OS X is a sort of UNIX.
Windows is not UNIX.
More than 66% of desktop operating systems are UNIX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back