When the Beta expires, will people be hosed?

neye_eve

Registered
Ok, Apple is saying that you can install the beta side-by-side with OS 9, and that if you choose that kind of installation, all the OS 9 stuff will be copied into an "OS 9" folder.

So, what happens when the beta expires on the 15th and we still don't have OS X final (god forbid)? Will it auto-uninstall and replace all the pieces of OS 9, or will we need to dig around in the system and replace files manually?

I know, it's not recommended to have them on the same partition, but it's supported, so responses like "just install on a different partition" are appreciated, but not nearly as much as those that answer my original question(s).

Thanks,
neye

The documentation that is on the OS X site says that you will need a bootable CD so that you can select OS 9 to restart. If you are running only the Beta than you are pretty muh SOL.

hmmmm... well, I suppose all the file formats are going to be the same for me whether I'm on OS X or OS 9.

I'll just do the partitioning thing anyways for kicks (still only have one partition on my 13 Gig drive in the dv se).

Thanks for the responses,

neye

Since you need a working OS 9 system folder on the partition to enable the two-OSs-on-one-partition feature, Apple's assuming you possess a bootable OS 9 CD. The same will allow you to get your directory structure back after May 15 if you haven't upgraded OS X PB to OS X 1.0 by that point.

The FAQ said that if you are installing onto a partition with MacOS 9 on it, everything would be moved into a folder called Mac OS 9. I wonder if "everything" means the entire contents of the partitions (including miscellaneous applications and documents), or just the OS 9 System Folder. In any case, all you would have to do to restore is boot from any bootable CD, throw away all the Mac OS X stuff, and put everything in the Mac OS 9 folder back into its original place.

Hmm.... OS X doesn't have a System folder, does it? How does the Mac know to boot from whatever OS X booting mechanism there is, instead of from the perfectly valid OS 9 System Folder on the same partition? Remember, the System Folder does not have to be in the root directory, or even be called "System Folder". Does Darwin offer the same ability to have 2 fully functional systems on the same partition?

That's really my question - will <b>we</b> have to move everything back into it's original OS 9 directory structure <b>manually</b>, or is there some sort of logging mechanism that gets run during the install which will automatically replace all the files it moved to the OS 9 folder

neye

I think it is best for all to install the beta on a separate partition...then whatever happens next may, whichever path you choose, you'll be okay......just use the system disk to select your os9 partition again.

and of course we all back up our important stuff...don't we????

Just did all the partitioning and re-installing last night. Took all of an hour and a half. Didn't know it'd be that painless.

thanks for the tips,
neye

The statement about OS X coming after 05/15/2001 , I mean.

Besides, if you boot from anything that's >=8.1, you'll be able to see your OS X volume. Installing OS 9 over OS X is a bit tedious, but it's doable.

Originally posted by marin
I think that was just a paranoid statement. The OS X is almost 90% finished.
Which sense of "almost 90% finished" do you mean?

Really 60% finished, which is almost 90%.

It's been almost 90% finished for the last 9 months now, and it's gonna be
90% finished in May.

OS X 1.0 was suppose to be a "late summer 2000" after the Mac OS 9.5 in August, right?

Usually a beta does have an expiration date, all the software I've seen did, and would expect them to issue updates, one of which is "on the agenda" is to FINALLY get a working workable Software Update mechanism in place, one that is slightly more ah, reliable - like they want us to be guinea pigs and trust it on this?

January two thousand and.. two, that's when I look for a 99.99% version and maybe version 1.1 say March 2002 for this OS.

I'm sure that the OS 9.1 Fortissimo will improve Classic, add Carbon 1.1, OpenTransport 3.0 and some other stuff.

Dragging our way to a bright modern OS (it IS cool and elegent if and when it works).

Partition? I've got plenty - two OS 9 system volumes (one for real work, one for Classic), OS X (UFS so 9 doesn't mess or see it and utilities don't clobber it), swap/scratch, and one common volume for all the apps/docs/util/etc files. The only thing I lose are OS X prefs and I'm looking at how to backup my user areas from there also.

Gregory

Will the user see any difference between final and beta other than fixing things that need to be fixed (like ppp connect).
Will it sport more language support ?
Will it have more applications bundled with it ?
Will it have more UNIX apps ?
will...
will...
will...
(some answers ??)

Admiral

And for a brief shining moment, before I logged out and back in, my software update icon in the dock was an OSX CD icon (white, with the Aqua X) with an orangy arrow on top of it, pointing down.

The icon in the finder wasn't changed, though, so I force quit the desktop to see if that worked. It didn't, so I logged out and back in. That's when I lost the dock icon.

So, they're playing around with it.

I have also had Software update active upon login periodically. I have not noticed any actual updating of my software, but then again I wouldn't know where to look if changes had actually been made. It makes me wonder if on the off chance that the final is not ready by the beta's expiration date, that apple will be able to extend the beta kill date via software update?

Also, it would not be unheard of for a [k] patch that would disable the expiration date to manifest itself somewhere on the net. It would not suprise me at all.

If people realy want to know what happens after OS X expires, you could disable the network time syncronization (maby even disconnect yourself from any broadband modems), set the date up to May 16, 2001 and see what happens. Maby even do a restart. I am too lazy to test it out myself (though i might if i get bored enough) but i would love to hear what happens (if anything at all)! If OS X doesnt let you use it, just restart into os 9 and change the time back!

OK, i actually went and tested it myself.
I was able to restart my computer just fine after setting the time ahead, but after i loged in, a message poped up telling me i need to boot up from my system disk (ovcourse not the os x cd). It also thanked me for testing os x. The only thing i could do was press a button in the dialouge that showed up that said "shut down." So for all the people wondering what would happen, this is it.
If you wanna start using os x again, you would have to boot of your system cd (by holding C at start up), set the time back, then restart again. Once back in os x, it would be a good idea to turn network time syncronization back on.

I first installed OSX w/OS9, then later I partioned the hard drive and installed OS9 on the first partioned and then I installed OSX on the second position.
OSx still copied Os9 on the second partion
so I can work w/OS9 on either partion

Back