when the tiger comes out..

bananaboi8715

Registered
Is it possible that a new computer will be revealed when Tiger comes out? I need a new computer, and I may purchase a G4 IBOOK. But, does it make more sense to wait for Tiger to come out and then buy a computer so I don't have to pay extra for the operating system, or should I wait for a G5 laptop to come out (which I'm afraid will be no time soon. :rolleyes: )

we are actually awaiting some kind of hardware as we speak, as the NAB-conference in Las Vegas got started yesterday. rumored are at least new PowerMacs, dont know about any *Books, but an update might come. no G5 PowerBook, thats for sure!

i would await getting a new machine until at least thursday. actually, i would await getting a new machin until the 29th, this way you won't need to pay for a Tiger- update..

alex.

Any Mac purchased on or after April 12th (the day Tiger's release date was officially announced) needs to only pay $10 for the upgrade to Tiger.

And keep in mind that you would receive "Upgrade" discs. Meaning if in 6 months you need to wipe and reload the system you would need to first install Panther (or whatever your current OS X version is), then upgrade to Tiger...

Just something else to keep in mind.

cybergoober said:
And keep in mind that you would receive "Upgrade" discs. Meaning if in 6 months you need to wipe and reload the system you would need to first install Panther (or whatever your current OS X version is), then upgrade to Tiger...

Just something else to keep in mind.

There's a package on the Upgrade CD that can be removed to turn it into a full CD, at least with the Panther upgrade. I purchased my PowerBook the weekend Panther came out and it came with Jaguar on it.

btoth said:
There's a package on the Upgrade CD that can be removed to turn it into a full CD, at least with the Panther upgrade. I purchased my PowerBook the weekend Panther came out and it came with Jaguar on it.

The question for me is whether the installer supplied with the Mac mini will be restricted to installing only on the model it is supplied with. Will I need to buy a separate copy to bring the OS on my G4 up to match?

Yes, you will need to buy a separate copy. The discs that come with the Mac Mini are restore discs, and are meant to be used to restore the Mac mini to the state it was when it left the factory.

Not entirely true, though. You'll also get an installation DVD. However: The license doesn't allow you to install on more than one computer. Technically, it's possible, though.

Yeah I agree, just wait a little while then grab yourself a Mac. It'll have Tiger on it already plus you'll get non upgrade discs. It's not like its that far away anyway :p

I thought you'd get the System Restore discs, that aren't usable on other computers? I can't use my Powerbook system restore discs to install Panther on ... say an iMac, can I?

I'm not entirely sure. For one thing, I believe there isn't code in the Sys-Restore CDs or DVDs that says you can't install the OS (different for the software, i.e. iLife IIRC). But also: You can use the Installation DVD to _install_ the OS instead of restoring it. And that quite certainly runs on any Mac older than the Installation DVD.

My PowerBook's included DVD installs Panther on a DVD-equipped iMac G3.

Not that I would do that sort of thing.

Back