when will QUAKE be made for OSX

eldvis

Registered
Hi,
I have trawled the internet looking for any signs of a new version of quake for osx. I do have quake running on osx but it's getting a bit dated now. I have tried to fill the gap with Halo, Unreal, MoH Spearhead but none of them even get close to the playability of Quake. I find them much too slow in comparison. However I love the use of vehicles in the other games and some of the maps are excellent.

But give me QuakeIII + longest yard map + a few mates and I'd choose that against any of the other games - any time!

Quake 3 was out for Mac OS X couple years ago if not more! What are you talking about? Or could that be that you are asking about Doom 3? That game, according to iD will be out when it is done... ;)

I have a patch for os9 Quake III so it runs on os x but there isn't a boxed Quake for os x, is there?

There just doesn't seem to be any development on the quake front

quake 3 altivec test 2
you download that and add .pk3 files from any quake version (windowz, mac, linux).

that is the latest. works as fast as windows version

No there is no boxed version of q3a for os x. It's not as bad as it sounds. Ones you know how to install it. It is easy. At the front of every comp usa store, there are huge cubes, lined with bargain cd software. On one of the cube q3a pc is there. It's sold for ten dollars.

If you have any trouble figuring out how to install q3a for os x. I would recommend going over to www.quake3world.com. Ones there check out the macintosh forum facts. It include a step by step guide, with picture, to install q3a. It's 5 steps long. And each step is clearly outlined, and it'll take you all of 3 minutes to do.

I've heard that Quake 3 Gold shipped with an OS X version. It's the boxed version that contains Quake 3 Arena and Team Arena. I don't have a copy of that version of the game so I can't say whether or not that's true.

edit: I just looked at id's site and the system reqs seem to say that an OS X version is not included on CD.

dude yea, ive had quake 3 gold for a while and its os x. cheap too, you should check it out.

EDIT: er, hey nevermind.

For what it's worth, I have Quake 2 for Mac.
It's been a few years though, I can't swear it's OS X compatible...

I have Quake 1 and 2 running fine under MacOSX (both installed from the PC version CDs onto a mates PC, just downloaded the MacOSX engine from VersionTracker and copied the pack files across a network link onto my Mac.)

Quake3 for MACOSX is pretty easy to find, same for Halo and all the Unreal Tournaments (Not sure about Unreal 1 though, I'm afraid). I've also never had trouble installing skins, maps, mods and add-ons.

A good site to visit for this sort of thing is www.macgamefiles.com, though you'd probably do better to make friends with some gamers at your local Apple store. :)

I have had Quake (OpenGL), Quake II and Quake III Arena running on my Mac OS X system for a few years now... Quake III was one of the first Mac OS X first-person-shooters (original port was done by the Omni Group before Id took development back in-house).

I also have had Star Trek Voyager Elite Force for a few years which is based on the Quake III engine.

I even have Ultimate Doom and Doom II for Mac OS X (OpenGL version called DoomLegacy) which are great face lifts of the old games. I also have Unreal Tournament running in Mac OS X.

All of these are played regularly along with Ghost Recon. I play Quake II the most next to Ghost Recon of the games I've listed. Additionally I have Quake II for my Rhapsody systems which can play networked with my other Macs (Mac OS 8.6 and Mac OS X) running Quake II.

The only Id game I don't have for Mac OS X that I have for a pre-Mac OS X system is Heretic... but the version I have is for Rhapsody, not Mac OS 8/9. As I have it on my Rhapsody systems, it never occurred to me to look for it for Mac OS X.

Id games have had better Mac OS X support than games from other companies mainly because John Carmack likes Mac OS X. Part of the reason there are Rhapsody versions of these games is because he was a Rhapsody user himself. I have Doom/Doom II, Heretic and Quake II (and a very early alpha version of Quake III) for Rhapsody, but have never seen any other game from any other major game development house on that platform. Considering the massive market share Rhapsody had (next to none as I recall :eek: ), that is pretty impressive.

:rolleyes:

So what is supposed to be missing here? All the Quake games (that I know of) seem to be running (and running quite nicely) on Mac OS X.

It's not a question of whether quake III runs on os x, I've been playing quake on os x for ages, but it's the same version as I had in os9 + an os x patch. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to get quake up to the next level like the latest Unreal and like Halo (although I prefer Quake to these, stuck in my ways). I would love to go to the shop, pick up a Quake box with an os x installer in it, a few vehicles added and maybe a new gun or two. I just feel like quake will be left behind.

let me know if I've missed a major release and I just don't know 'cos I don't get out much!

Isn't Quake IV due somewhere in the first half of 2005? Based on the DOOM3 engine? Mac version in 2006?

The game uses the Doom 3 engine, so you can imagine the screenshots are pretty lush. Details of the game include the fact it is set just a few hours after Quake 2, with numerous single missions involving either you or you and other marines fighting the Strogg ... but on their home planet. Missions will be set both inside and outside, with confirmed weapons (so far) including the blaster, machinegun, nailgun, and shotgun. Another nice addition will be the use of vehicles (a la Unreal Tournament), but these will only be available in single player mode. Multiplayer mode will be akin to Quake 3 Arena.

[Linkage] [Screenshots]

There's also a triple pack at the moment that includes MacOSX installer versions of Heretic, Hexen and SinGold.

Heretic and Hexen for macosx? Please, post the link! I would love to run heretic and hexen on my mac. I kinda grew up with these games and thought they are pc-only.

actually I was aware of these versions for macosx. I was more interested to the previous parts: heretic I and hexen I. heretic II was a complete different game type.
But thanks hulk!
Maybe you have links to heretic and hexen for macosx as well?

For all I know Hexen & Heretic version 1 never made available for OS X. Also, IIRC they were OS <=9 only :( Sorry :eek:

Back