when will there be an ichat update?

mightyjlr

Registered
iChat, is arguably the most poorly designed piece of software Apple has released in recent times. I have been using it since it first came out, because I try and make a point of using Apple software, but lately i am getting fed up of the fact that Apple seems to have all but abandoned it. I assume it is one of the easiest programs to actually write because of its small size and simple nature of it, and I have expected an update for so long. Does anyone know when it might be updated?

There is quite a bit of speculation that Apple is releasing a major iChat update in 10.3 which is supposedly due out in the fall. The upgrade will most likely be a paid upgrade.

video conferencing and the microphone thing are great, but if these are ichat specific features, I can use them with 0 people, the number of the people on my buddy lists who have a mac. i guess I'll have to go and get new friends :D

Same here. I've got all of one friend who uses a Mac. I guess I could use it with my parents too, if I could finally get this job so I can move away.

The camera and microphone are built in it already. Probably they work in 10.3.
Also the compatibility with other IMs such as ICQ (and yim and msn) is also there but not implemented yet.

Oh, I use now Adium to talk to the non-Mac people) 2 compared to ... a bit more on ichat list. ;)

If the upgrade is gonna cost money I sure hope Apple gets iChat right then. I'm really amazed at how it hasn't seemed to have gotten much attention from them aside from the initial release.

iChat is THE worst application I have EVER seen from Apple. And I am pretty dissapointed, they hyped it up then just pooped it onto your computer. You can't even IM someone who isn't on your buddy list (at least I haven't figured out how anyway)

*smells the iChat rotting in his applications folder*

Originally posted by Da_iMac_Daddy
iChat is THE worst application I have EVER seen from Apple. And I am pretty dissapointed, they hyped it up then just pooped it onto your computer. You can't even IM someone who isn't on your buddy list (at least I haven't figured out how anyway)

*smells the iChat rotting in his applications folder*

if someone asked me ...IM me at "this" address, i always just ...

File / New Chat With Person .... Enter user name ..

DONE! ... Did i miss something? .. it always worked for me!

NeYo

No, you're absolutely right, NeYo. :)

However, I must say that I had expected at least an update to 1.1 somewhere along the path from Jaguar to Panther, but alas: There is none and there doesn't seem to be one.

I'm pretty sure though that the build of iChat won't be 1.0 in Panther. And the price of Panther, which will sure be 129 USD, won't be only because of a better iChat. I expect some pretty things of the next version of Mac OS X. And I hope I won't be disappointed. But then again: Apple has never disappointed me with one of the big releases (Public Beta, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 so far).

Originally posted by fryke
No, you're absolutely right, NeYo. :)

However, I must say that I had expected at least an update to 1.1 somewhere along the path from Jaguar to Panther, but alas: There is none and there doesn't seem to be one.

I'm pretty sure though that the build of iChat won't be 1.0 in Panther. And the price of Panther, which will sure be 129 USD, won't be only because of a better iChat. I expect some pretty things of the next version of Mac OS X. And I hope I won't be disappointed. But then again: Apple has never disappointed me with one of the big releases (Public Beta, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 so far).

amen, to ALL of that! ... i find iChat ok for my purposes ... File transfer used to be sketchy, but was GREAT with fellow ichat users, but of late, for some odd reason, worked fine... its quite basic, but it does all i need right now, any advances would merely be extra's!

One thing i look for, in a lot of apps, are Docklings combined with Control Click's on the Dock. I Like to be able to Control click an icon, and be able to stuff, like Mail, iTunes etc ... now, i'd say iChat could quite easily combine the features of the Finder Bar, into a Dockling?! ... it makes more sense for it 2 me a dockling to me ... why have 2 iChat icons on screen?! ... Not only iChat, but many other Apps should take advantage of the dockling popup "thing" ... Safari being another!? ... Why not show Bookmarks like Chimera .5 used to, i really miss that feature!

Neyo

ichat has a ton of bugs in it. but the main issue that I have is that it constantly signs me off and then signs me right back on. it is very annoying. I hope that apple fixes ichat soon.

There's gonna be an update tomorrow... Ahhh come on get over it, nobody like iChat anyways, I mean nobody I know even uses AOL. Unless you have your own little network there is no practical use for ichat. Hey its just my two pennies in this matter.

hum. disagree. practical use for iChat: working with my colleagues without them having to call me every fifteen minutes. also: file exchange with them. finished a graphics job? hand it over - as if we were in the same office, virtually.

Try AOL Instant Messangers latest OS X build.. I know, ouch, but at least it isn't quite as buggy as iChat. Then again, fryke, are you referring to using iChat on your work network with your colleauges?

Fire makes you see ALSO the .mac users if you choose Oscar mode.

Just disable the dock bouncing, it uses a lot of ram if you don't have a lot of memory.

I smell funny.

forgot about oscar, i can now see you nice happy and elitist @mac.com users ;)

[edit] no editing my posts or though shall be edited thyne self! ;)

Back