Where can I get word?

cb1bear

Registered
Hi,
I am in the process of updating to OS 10.3 (pantha) I really need to get hold of WORD as I am trying to email my CV to recruitement agancies. They all seem to want it as a .doc word file. How much will this cost and where can I get hold of it? (also are ther any other formats that I could save it in, as word doesn't offer much chance to design!?) I need both PC and Mac to have access to it. (PDF's any good?)

Thanks.

PDF's good for sending CVs. If they insist on Word files, you could also let TextEdit save as Word file. Of course there you have even less "design" options. You could _also_ use NeoOffice (OpenOffice.org "Mac-i-fied").

If you truly need Microsoft Office, you can get version 2004 basically everywhere where there's Mac software.

You can get Word from any online store (store.apple.com etc..) that sells apple software.

PDF is readable by any device that has a reader program. Mac, PC, PDA and even some phone models.

Create a pdf by opening your cv and press apple + p.
Then click save as pdf. Done.

Looks ok. I have the retail boxed too, which had the Developer disc. But thats downloadable for free from apples site if you need it. Why don't you get tiger? (10.4)

At the moment I have G4 OS X 10.1.5 (old!) Would Tiger be ok to buy? Also whats a developer disc? I am really confused of what to do. Am worried that my computer is too old for Tiger 10.4, but if I can get that would this be the best option. (does that come with word?)
thanks

If you let us know what machine it is, CPU speed, how much ram etc then we'll let you know if its going to be happy with tiger. I run it fine on my 867mhz g4 powerbook (640mb ram).

Ok my computer is: 700 MHz PowerPC G4 Processor. (imac)
256K on-chip level 2 cache running at 700 MHz.
128 MB SDRAH, supports up to 1 GB.
40 GB ultra ATA hard disc drive.

Is that enough info? Is it able to cope with Tiger 10.4? If so should I get this from Apple macs iste or ebay?

Thanks.

.... I really need to get hold of WORD as I am trying to email my CV to recruitement agancies. They all seem to want it as a .doc word file. ...
No, you don't need Word. As was stated above, TextEdit reads and writes Word .doc files. If you have an older version of TextEdit which doesn't do .doc files, you are still very much in luck. All versions of TextEdit do RTF. Anyone who wants .doc will accept RTF and be none the wiser.

Another word to the wise: Your CV should use a very simple standard format. If you think that you need a Word resume template, think again. All built-in Word templates are too ornate. Companies scan and store CVs into a searchable database. The ornate documents are difficult to scan. For what you need, TextEdit is more than up to the task.

Ok my computer is: 700 MHz PowerPC G4 Processor. (imac)
256K on-chip level 2 cache running at 700 MHz.
128 MB SDRAH, supports up to 1 GB.
40 GB ultra ATA hard disc drive.

Is that enough info? Is it able to cope with Tiger 10.4? If so should I get this from Apple macs iste or ebay?

Thanks.

Your computer WILL run Tiger (10.4), but it's going to run it quite slowly. Panther won't run much better. You need more RAM and a larger hard drive or you're going to be extremely unhappy with the performance of the machine.

cb1bear:

As MacGizmo wrote above, you definitely need more RAM. Go to www.memorytogo.com (my favorite) or www.crucial.com, select your Mac and buy more mem. OS X has _never_ worked well with 128 megs. It is slow even with 256. One gig would be very nice. You can even put it in yourself. Just be sure to ground yourself before touching the RAM. Let us know if you need more info about installing your own mem.

If you want to save money, you may want to buy a discounted copy of 10.3 Panther as 10.5 should be out around the end of the year. 10.3 works very well. I think you'll be very pleased with the combination of 10.3 or .4 and more memory. Almost like a new machine.

Doug

If you don't upgrade the RAM, get Mac OS X 10.3 as originally intended and use either TextEdit or NeoOffice.

If you _do_ upgrade the RAM, I'd _still_ get 10.3 instead of 10.4 for that machine. Cheaper price, most of the features (the important ones, anyway) and better performance on your machine.

Back