Where can I get X11 for 10.4.6

kneedrag

Registered
I have a weird problem.

I bought a cool little powerbook, which I moaned about the cost but am not regreting it.

Being a Unix fan for the last 10+years I was looking for a easy to use machine for video editing that allowed me to run some of the linux based applications I am used to.

However I am trying to install the X11 app. I am running 1o.4.6 and from all the forums I have read I should be able to install it from the install CD. I have installed everything from that CD and I still don't find X11.

I downloaded the X11 from apple and it tells me I have a newer version installed already... Which if I so a spot light search for does not exsist on my HDD or CD's.

Now while installing everything else has been easy and a pleasure this is frustrating me to no end.

Can anyone offer me any assistance. I am now desperated.

Thanks,

My X11 is in the utilities folder. Spotlight finds it.

I had to install it separately -- but, I don't remember what I did (it was 7 months ago).

Hope this is, maybe, at least a wee bit of help.

it's located in the utilities folder on my system.

Have you tried repairing permissions with Disk Utilities prior to installing from the media?

If 'X11' does not exist in the '/Applications/Utilities/' folder -

01. Select and copy ('Command c') the next line of text ...

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages

02. Insert the 'Tiger' DVD, and allow it to mount (onto the 'Desktop').
03. Click on the 'Desktop' or 'Finder' on the 'Dock' (to bring 'Finder' up front).
04. Select 'Finder's 'Go, Go to Folder' menu item ('Command <shift> G').
05. Select 'Finder's 'Edit, Paste' menu item ('Command v') to paste the copied text, and then click on the 'Go' button.
06. Locate and double click on 'X11User.pkg', and continue through the Installer application's installation process.

When the process is completed - 'X11' should then be installed in the '/Applications/Utilities/' folder.

I will try that...

At the moment I have found nothing to do with X11 on the local drive itself.

So let me see if I can find the X11user.pkg tonight/tomorrow morning when I get home. Have to work late again tonight unfortunatly. Story of my life.... To many servers not enough admins. ;-)

Thanks for the help.

Back