Where do the gigabytes go?

GfO

Registered
I just did a user migration due to some prefence trouble with my user account. When moving all documents from the old user to the new, and thereafter deleting the old user I was suddenly short of 8 gb!! And when I get info from the user folder I get 58 gb, however, when I go inside the user folder, mark all the folders and get info it tells me they're 50 gb....
Does anyone have a clue on how I can get my gigabytes back??
Thanks in advance,
GfO

open up the terminal and see if there are some hidden files/folders that could be containing the data. you could type in:

ls -ail

to get a description of all the files and folders. there is also a command line utility to list all of the largest folders/files on the drive in size decending order but i can't remember what it is right now.

Wasn't able to find the files, but after YET another restart a copy of the documents folder showed up in the new user's trash... So, there it was, -just emptied the trash and got the 8 gb back. I have no idea why though...
GfO

Try ls -lhS to get files sorted according to file size. -h switch will give
you human readable file sizes. You can also use -r switch to reverse the
sort.

Jeffo said:
open up the terminal and see if there are some hidden files/folders that could be containing the data. you could type in:

ls -ail

to get a description of all the files and folders. there is also a command line utility to list all of the largest folders/files on the drive in size decending order but i can't remember what it is right now.

Back