Where get KDE

erikstonge

Registered
Where I can get KDE for OS X, because I try to download some programs from frink, but it doesn't work, I followed instructions. I've already installed X11 and Xdarwin manually, and frink doesn't detect it, every time I need to uncheck X11. I want get KDE from a site with a real installation location, not in special folder.

well fink is far and away the best way to do kde, but if you really can t make that work, then you can download it from kde.org, or your local mirror.

installation instructions can be found here

seriously though, don t give up on fink. fink is the only unix package manager for OSX, and installing from source can be dificult.

I also installed X-windows manually, then tried to install Gnome through Fink, and it wouldn't detect it. This is a quirk of the Fink set-up, and the way around it is just to install the Fink version of X-windows, via the fink dselect. I'd expect any X-windows program, including KDE, would have the same problem and solution.

i m not exactly sure how this works, but i have noticed that fink can have an entry (for example, if you do fink list) you will see an entry for user-installed xfree86. i don t know how to make fink aware that xfree86 is already installled, but i think it has a mechanism for dealing with this....

erikstonge,

It's 'fink' (not frink).

If you installed XFree86 from source, after installing fink you need to install:

system-xfree86-4.2-1: Placeholder package for manually installed XFree86
Install this package if you have XFree86 4.2.0 installed manually. It
will check whether the installation is okay and provide the 'x11'
virtual package.
Because XFree86 now has OpenGL support built-in, you will probably
want to also install system-libgl to make those known to Fink.

And, don't forget before you start to run:

'fink selupdate-cvs'

and then

'fink update-all'

Good luck.

Cheers...

PS: I don't think it will work to install directly KDE in MacOS X without Fink.

Woah, boy... after spending a long time with this, I figured out how to configure everything, and just when fink was about to download KDE, it asks me if I would like to proceed with a 90 MB download.... does this sound right? is there a way to get a slightly stripped down version, or something?.... I'm on a modem for the next few weeks, 'til I get back to school...

(and, yes, I already have XFree86, XDarwin, Orobor OSX, and Fink installed....)

KDE is quite large. figure on a very large download, and then a long long wait for compilation.

Back