where is HP?

lethe

Registered
take a look at HPs website concerning OSX support for scanners. in december it said support is coming in early spring. by march it said late spring. now it says summer 02.

so what s the deal with HP? why haven t they written drivers for OSX?

I'm guessing it's because they're mucho lame. Also you already bought their product, so what do they care whether or not you can actually use it?

-the valrus

yeah its so annoying. remember when OSX 10.0 just came out? it included all these PPDs for HP drivers, and HP USB drivers, and so HP was all bragging on the OSX portion of the apple website about being the premier provider of peripherals for the mac platform. aren t PPD files platform independent? so HP really didn t do anything to support OSX at all.

here it is a year later, and the premier provider of peripherals is still dragging its feet. i think i ve been very patient, no? isn t graphic design a huge portion of the apple clientele? don t they all use scanners? grr...

RacerX used to tell us his interesting theory about why Adobe was taking so long.. i m starting to wonder whether there is some similar reason that HP is dragging....

well, i hate to seem impatient..... but the webpage right now claims july '02 for the 6300 scanner, and according to my watch, july '02 is gone....

Yea, they're horrible.
I bought a HP Deskjet 340 (with battery, IR and Mac adaptor, the lot) some years ago.

I used to be proud of this portable color/bw printer, and that I could use it on Macs and PCs.

Then I progressed to Mac OS X and my new iBook.
The wasted effort, trying to find out if an adaptor for USB could be got! (The existing Mac adaptor was Apple serial and I didn't want to daisychain that and one of these Keyspan or Belkin USB to serial adaptors.) I had to give my credit card number for that pre sales inquiry! (At least they didn't charge it.) Then I still didn't get an answer and neither did I get one about whether the drivers would be ported. Lame, lame, lame. Then I complained in writing and about 6 months later I actually received a phone call. Once they smelled however that I wasn't a multimillion dollar CEO they dropped any pretense of an effort - so 9 months on I haven't ever heard back from them.

Translation:
DO NOT BUY HP. They obviously don't want anyone to either.
Canon make a grand portable printer with (Mac OS X drivers and USB connector) that I'm going to get as soon as I get some cash.

Anyone want to pick up a cheap used HP portable printer?

;-)

Jens

Originally posted by lethe
RacerX used to tell us his interesting theory about why Adobe was taking so long.. i m starting to wonder whether there is some similar reason that HP is dragging....

So what was RacerX's theory?

RacerX used to be a regular around this message board. he was a long time professional with the ancestors of OSX, rhapsody and NeXTSTEP. he knew lots of stuff about the history of OSX, and his theory was that adobe was withholding Photoshop for OSX because apple chose to use PDF to display the OS, instead of Postscript which is what NeXTSTEP and rhapsody used. NeXT and then apple had to pay a lot of money to adobe use postscript in their OS (solaris for example, still uses Postscript display). but the licensing of the PDF format allows apple to use it without paying anything to adobe, to adobe lost out on a lot of potential money with OSX.

that was RacerX s theory about why it took adobe so long to come out with photoshop, and i thought it was credible. RacerX has since sailed for greener pastures

Sounds like tit for tat.
Though it's obviously not commercially sound. But in this world of corporate institutionalized insanity it wouldn't surprise me. :-/

Back