where is iDVD?

lethe

Registered
what is the story? iDVD for 9 comes with the OS, but iDVD for X i have to buy for $20? what the hell!! that s no incentive to switch

Make the upgrade....

Best $20 I spent this year....

Full motion menus, 90 minute encoding time, and it runs on OS X...

Better get used to the $20 s/h fees from Apple. You're going to be seeing a lot more of them....

Actualy if you buy a new system with a DVD burner, it comes with iDVD2 for OSX.. Just like it did when it came with OS9.

Upgrades cost $20. A VERY good deal when you think that 2 years ago the company I work for payed $20,000 for a DVD authering system!!!

no! i am helping my friend set up his brand new 867MHz quicksilver with superdrive. it came on monday! it has no iDVD for OSX

Considering Apple announced it AFTER it shipped your particular machine, it won't have it. Usually those sent out starting a week or two after the announcement carry it. It really depends on how quickly stock moves. They install all the software on the machine, pack it up, and ship it. Usually there is a couple days of lag time where it is packed, but not shipped, and a couple days lag time as Apple gets the new set of CDs that includes the update out to their pressing company. This isn't all that unusual, just bad timing.

You cannot expect them to ship a machine by snagging beta software, burning it onto a CD and saying 'We think this will do', can you? Of course, Apple does seem to be nickel-and-diming to death on this stuff, but hey... MPEG-1/2 fees are a b*tch. Apple cannot afford to give free updates when they are paying out for every copy they move of iDVD.

No offense, but you are over-reacting a little bit here. Apple isn't in the market to skirt copyright law and risk losing a good chunk of the cash they built up. Dell just got sued for bundling DVD playback without paying the proper fees by the 30+ patent owners of the MPEG-2 standard. Apple can't afford that, so they pay the fees, and to keep their profit margin, pass the 'savings' on to us.

(Wow, can't believe I defended Apple on this one...) :rolleyes: :D

Did I just see someone actually complain about having to pay $20 for DVD software?! What a great world we live in when we're actually bitching about a trivial, meaningless fee for what is clearly at least a $150 program.

Also, just a friendly reminder, Apple is a business, not a charity, and with their 4th quarter not being so hot (macworld.com), they're gonna be scrounging for every nickle they can get. I'll gladly give up my nickel for iDVD.

:)

Originally posted by mindbend
Did I just see someone actually complain about having to pay $20 for DVD software?! What a great world we live in when we're actually bitching about a trivial, meaningless fee for what is clearly at least a $150 program.

Also, just a friendly reminder, Apple is a business, not a charity, and with their 4th quarter not being so hot (macworld.com), they're gonna be scrounging for every nickle they can get. I'll gladly give up my nickel for iDVD.

:)

Thanks for writing a shorter version of my rant... Not only the fact that DVD authoring used to be out of reach of ANY consumer not that long ago... MPEG-1/2 fees are what are preventing Apple from just pushing MPEG-1/2 playback/encoding into QT5 normally. However, they are getting close (MPEG-1 playback and MPEG-2 encoding with every new machine is good enough, but I want to see an MPEG-2 playback that will work on G3s... I don't care if I drop frames on my 8600, I want to test out my SVCD tracks before burning my RW...)

one thing to remember for the future is that new computers don't ship with installer cds for itunes, imovie or idvd. When you use the restore cds then the application is copied over as part of the restore.

Originally posted by lethe
no! i am helping my friend set up his brand new 867MHz quicksilver with superdrive. it came on monday! it has no iDVD for OSX

I got my 867 from CDW about a month ago and it didn't include iDVD 2. After talking to Apple tech support (sales told me to) they said to bring my receipt to an Apple store telling them that I got a Quicksilver which didn't include iDVD 2, and they will give me one since tech support doesn't have that. Really nice. I haven't yet, but hope this is true. I will go to the store hopefully tomorrow.

Originally posted by rubberchicken
one thing to remember for the future is that new computers don't ship with installer cds for itunes, imovie or idvd. When you use the restore cds then the application is copied over as part of the restore.

This is partially what I am referring to by the lag produced between announcement, and bundling with new machines. It takes time to get the new set of GMs sent to the pressers, and takes time to start getting sets based of the new set of GMs rather than the old. That is probably about a week. Plus the lag of getting rid of the old GMs on current systems in stock, another 3-7 days.

So whenever a new product is bundled, or an update, those restore CDs don't automagicially get the new product... the current stock has to deplete first. Every store/shop/retail/food joint does this for good reasons: to not waste stock. Wasted stock is lost money, plain and simple.

OK, if the problem is that iDVD hasn t been out long enough, then it s OK. i don t really care about $20, but my problem is this: i thought that DVD burning was available starting OSX 10.1, which is out for two months now. i get a machine this week, and it doesn t have it.

and mindbend, if it is so expensive for apple to give me this software, then why is iDVD for OS9 already there? why did i not have to pay any money for that? if they can only give me one version for free, could i at least have some say which one i get? i would rather stop rebooting my computer into OS9, so give me the X version and you can keep the other

Okay, lemme answer for mindbend since I also stated this.

iDVD comes with the SuperDrive Macs. It is bundled with the SuperDrive Macs because: you need software to do authoring, and so there has to be some 'lite' version of the authoring software Apple produces (Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro). iDVD is that software.

The cost of the software is offset by you spending the extra money to get a machine with the SuperDrive (notice how it boosts the price of the machine a good 500-600$ as a BTO option?). But if they just started letting people download it for free, they would not be able to offset it with hardware, because no hardware is being sold for the downloads.

Right now, Apple is penny-pinching, but hey, if that means they lay off a measly 50 instead of 50000+ like other companies during the time where people are expecting too much for too little (recession if you want to call it that) because of all the offset of cost maneuvers companies use to sell hardware/software, I will accept that and be glad when Apple is doing OK after this economic bump is done with.

You did pay for iDVD when you bought the SuperDrive in your machine.

On my QuickSilver, which came with 10.0.4 I think (not 10.1), it did have iDVD for Mac OS X. I don't even have a dvd-r/dvd-rw. I can read dvd's, and write cdr's.

What is interesting, is that when I installed the 10.1 update (which was free at the apple store - apple rocks), it removed the idvd application from my system. Its completely gone.

I'm guessing I could crack open the software restore cd and re-install it...

Still, if you pay mucho dinero para una G4 con el dvd burner, you might expect a $20 software package to be installed. $20 is a great deal for dvd creation software, but honestly, if apple charges $600 for the dvd burner, why not charge $620 and include idvd for os9 and osx?

(yeah, and if you are going to spend $600 for a dvd burner, why not spend $20 more on the software.... I guess apple might have origionally charged $50 and split the difference.... dah dah dah... confusion..)

hey kilowatt, can you tell me who manufactures the combo drive in the quicksilver? i bought some generic brand combo drive, and A. it doesn t quite fit through quicksilver door, B. it doesn t seem to support burning from iTunes under OSX, so i want to get one that i am sure will work well with apple stuff. just tell me which one it is. i wish i could buy components through apple.

thanks

Originally posted by kilowatt
On my QuickSilver, which came with 10.0.4 I think (not 10.1), it did have iDVD for Mac OS X. I don't even have a dvd-r/dvd-rw. I can read dvd's, and write cdr's.

What is interesting, is that when I installed the 10.1 update (which was free at the apple store - apple rocks), it removed the idvd application from my system. Its completely gone.

Hmm, you shouldn't have had any OS X iDVD application in the first place. They just recently released the Carbonized (or Cocoa-ified) version of iDVD. Unless you got a really, really early seed (Apple doesn't do this), you never had iDVD for OS X. I do know there was some iMovie issues with updating to 10.1 (it installed it on my machine, despite the fact I never bought it or a machine with it).

As for cheap DVD-RW/CD-RW drives, the only choice I think is possible is to ask Apple themselves, crack open a case with a SuperDrive, or twiddle your thumbs until Apple actually supports DVD-RW drives other than that they use themselves.

Originally posted by lethe
hey kilowatt, can you tell me who manufactures the combo drive in the quicksilver? i bought some generic brand combo drive, and A. it doesn t quite fit through quicksilver door, B. it doesn t seem to support burning from iTunes under OSX, so i want to get one that i am sure will work well with apple stuff. just tell me which one it is. i wish i could buy components through apple.

thanks

The Superdrive is made by Pioneer.

i am looking for ComboDrive, not SuperDrive. Kilowatt, your sig says you have a ComboDrive, so just check your Apple System Profiler and tell me what it says the manufacturer is.

thanks

Back