no apparent reason, the Classic preferences pane in OS 10.1 no longer
recognizes my Classic partition as a valid Classic-bootable 9.2.1 volume
(though it recognizes as such a small partition containing 9.2.1 that I
use for booting to make disk repairs, defragging, etc., which has never
been used to boot Classic).

I've tried everything I could think of to fix this, including completely
wiping the partition. I've reinstalled 9.2.1 on the partition three
times, I've reinstalled 10.1, I've used Disk Warrior 2.1, TechTool Pro
3.0.4--you name it, I've done it. If anyone has had a similar experience and can help, I'd greatly appreciate
it!

For some reason, Classic seems only to boot off of a system volume that has recently booted as straight 9.x. Or something like that --

when the 9.x volume that I want to boot under Classic is greyed out, the solution that works (!) for me is to reboot into that 9.x volume, then reboot back into X to find that 9.x volume no longer greyed out.

It is an annoying glitch. I hope that this may help you restore your classic volume, though.

mike

Here is yet another situation:
10.1 does not recognize, as a Classic bootable OS, either 9.1 or 9.2.1 on the same partition as 10.1. However, 10.1 recognizes seprate drive on SCSI chain as Classic-able, as well as the non-OS X PartitionAlpha. All systems boot independently (each OS stands alone).

Drive A: OEM 30GB into 3 partitions:
PartitionAlpha - 5GB 9.1
PartitionBeta - 5GB fresh 9.1 updated to 9.2.1 + fresh 10.0 updated to 10.1
PartitionGamma - 18GB Documents (No System)

Drive B: 9.1 on 1GB SCSI through OEM PCI Adaptec

Updated, re-installed, over-installed, copied, (etc.) 9.1/9.2.1 to PartitionBeta. Even copied the known good system from Drive B to PartitionBeta with no results.

I would like to have PartitionAlpha as a stand-alone 9.1 OS for my production work, PartitionBeta as my OS X with Classic, and Drive B as the VM Page file device.

My machine, by the way, is a PM G4 450 DP, with 704 MB RAM. More specs on request.

All (positive) feedback is appreciated.

And by the way, I am lovin' OS X 10.1 - This is what the original release should have been.

Originally posted by glowurm@mac.com
Here is yet another situation:
10.1 does not recognize, as a Classic bootable OS, either 9.1 or 9.2.1 on the same partition as 10.1. However, 10.1 recognizes seprate drive on SCSI chain as Classic-able, as well as the non-OS X PartitionAlpha. All systems boot independently (each OS stands alone).
This turned out to be the source of my problem. The solution was to put my Classic bootable system folder on my slave drive; my OS X partition is on my master.

I currently have Classic functioning, just not as I would like it. This "solution" which uses two partitions for a fully functional 10.1 is not acceptable. I should be able to run OS X with only one drive/partition, as that is how the majority of systems are configured.

Does an iMac, for instance, come pre-partitioned? I think not. So why is this work-around necessary for those of us with multiple drives or partitions? Are there issues with the way OS X deals with these schemes?

Please note that as of yet my VM page file is not relocated. Again, why this would matter I do not know, but I did not specifically state that in my previous post.

By the way Mr. Melby, thanks to you for posting your solution. Even if I am not satisfied with how it works for me, the community benefits.

Originally posted by glowurm@mac.com
I currently have Classic functioning, just not as I would like it. This "solution" which uses two partitions for a fully functional 10.1 is not acceptable. I should be able to run OS X with only one drive/partition, as that is how the majority of systems are configured.

Does an iMac, for instance, come pre-partitioned? I think not. So why is this work-around necessary for those of us with multiple drives or partitions? Are there issues with the way OS X deals with these schemes?
No, an iMac does not come pre-partitioned--and since iMacs currently ship with both 9.x and 10.0.x installed, it would be interesting to find out if iMac owners have this problem after upgrading.

FWIW, one of the many things I tried before arriving at my solution was to install 9.2.1 on the same partition with 10.1, but that would not work. Also, putting the Classic system folder on a different partition was not sufficient: it would only work if the other partition were on another drive.

And finally, I had been running 10.1 for several days with my old setup (two separate partitions on the same drive) without any hassles. This problem just cropped up out of the blue--I have no explanation for it.

I have done every config imaginable on my 3 currently installed drives, and when I had the 4th SCSI drive in too. At one point I had 8 bootable systems laying around ... holding the option key for the OS chooser took forever!

I can boot off anything, and classic offa anything. I'm not sure what is causing your problems... and as for choosing classic. Yeah, the classic chooser is a bit dumb. I didn't have to reboot though, I just selected the drive as the startup drive (the 9 folder) and then switched to the classic control panel, and I could select it. Same process, just no reboot. Hope this helps to save you some aggrivation.

Hey that was closer to the solution I was looking for. A little quirky but hey, it does the trick. Now for the testing phase: Does it stick?

Thanks All!

Originally posted by theed
I can boot off anything, and classic offa anything. I'm not sure what is causing your problems... and as for choosing classic. Yeah, the classic chooser is a bit dumb. I didn't have to reboot though, I just selected the drive as the startup drive (the 9 folder) and then switched to the classic control panel, and I could select it. Same process, just no reboot. Hope this helps to save you some aggrivation.
That was what I did on one of my early attempts, and it didn't work for me.

Back