Where is OS X 10.1.2 ???

Wafa

Registered
I believe many have heard that Apple would be releasing a new update OS X 10.1.2. It was already released internally to Apple employees according to http://www.thinksecret.com/ . Have anybody heard more on the subject and when one expect to see the update out?? I can hardly wait to see if it will fix some of the bugs still out there in the present OS X. It may also offer some enhancements and support for SCSI and DVD capablity to not so old MACs such as mine, a PB G3 Wall Street.

so you're saying that if we go thru the posts lately where people are installing 10.1.2, then we'll know who works for apple? no wonder nobody replies when i ask them about it.:p

still checking software update regularly.

Well, Apple has said that they released some updates too early, so I guess they want to make sure this time that no-one loses their partitions. :) ...

Your WallStreet PowerBook is old considering 'computer-lifetimes'. Also a G3 computer of the first incarnation (beige G3 towers and WallStreet powerbooks) are the least supported machines. You can install OS X, but no-one said it would be fun to do so.

Don't forget that the machine was never built to run the operating system. Back at the time the WallStreet was built, Mac OS X was far away from being optimized to run on any portable machine, and of course later machines like the Pismo and the TiBook have been optimized for use with OS X - and vice versa.

I would not expect that Mac OS X will ever be an operating system for your PowerBook. Your system, sad as it sounds, would be Mac OS 9.x. The WallStreet runs it fine, OS 9 is quite optimized for portable use, too.

Pessimistic? Well, why not. Apple wants you to buy a TiBook or - if that's too expensive - an iBook. Great mobile computers running OS X just fine.

If I have to choose between Apple investing developer hours into supporting older machines or Apple investing developer hours in making their new hardware and further OS X updates the best pair of HW/SW in the world, I choose the latter. I want to use Macs when I'm sixty-four and I don't want to be a guy who tells stories about how wonderful the past was when there still was Macintosh.

Support Apple's future:

1.) Switch to Mac OS X totally!
2.) Buy a new Mac whenever your wallet allows!
3.) Seduce friends to buy a Macintosh!

I hope 10.1.2 offers SCSI support for non apple SCSI cars. Waiting for orange micro to release drivers is making my hair turn gray :p

I also wish for greek... come on! Its just one stupid keyboard layout apple!!!!!!!

Give my wallet authorization to let me buy a new Mac, and I will. I think that's the biggest problem for people who already own Macs. Sure prices are going down, but, they are still quite high. It's also one of the problems people who have had PC's for years face. For one, they don't want to spend over $1000 for something that they would have to buy all new software for. Oh well. Stinks for them.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I hope 10.1.2 offers SCSI support for non apple SCSI cars. Waiting for orange micro to release drivers is making my hair turn gray :p

I also wish for greek... come on! Its just one stupid keyboard layout apple!!!!!!!

I have an Adaptec SCSI card that works just fine in OSX. It actually surprised me cause it worked since 10.0.

I found some interesting notes in this thread at the thinksecret forums.. has some good info + speculation on whats going on.

`Dave

My orange micro firewire/usb card works in my beige g3 with 10.1.

Its so sad to hear people talk about old hardware. Yellow Dog Linux on my beige g3 runs faster than mac os x on my G4 733. And I've got 640 megs of ram on the G4.

I think its time for apple to do something about this hog-of-an-os.

Haven't we taken the windows route if we buy a new computer to run the new operating system?

Remember Moore's law, computers double in speed every six months.

and, remember Gate's law, software runs half as fast as it did six months ago.

Put them together, and you have the microsoft/intel complex. I really hope Apple doesn't fall in to that.

don't get me wrong, I know every now and then I need to upgrade my macs. I don't expect my old hard ware to perform as well as new hard ware. But I DO expect a new operating system to be BETTER than the old operating system.

Is OS X better than OS 9? Of course it is. Big duh. But it is incredably slow, uses way too much memory, and has stupid stupid stupid features (and missing features) that make it dumb. Take right-clicking. Sometimes, right-clicking on an icon works, sometimes you have to click on it first with the left button, and sometimes it doesn't work at all (column view in the finder).

I just think apple could be doing better.

OS X rocks, no doubt. Protected memory, new UI, unix/linux compatability, stability....

http://www.lfnet.net/windows_95_sucks.mp3

does this remind you of os x?

Oh, and of course, XP really sucks, you don't need to remind me of that! I'm just sick of all this 'buy a new computer to run our new os' horse shit.

Puff puff puff.. cooling off now...

that was quite a rant/rave....

just download that mp3, its funny.

kilowatt: Why in the world would people want to run OS X on pre-G3 macs (it's called Unsupported UtilityX) if it runs slowly? It must run at least half-decent on those machines if people want to install it on there. Plus, there are people who say it runs tolerably on a Beige G3 Tower running at 266 MHz. Plus, part of the reason it runs slowly is that your browser, or your mail application, or your instant messenger application can no longer totally hog your computer. I think OS X runs very well on my cube, and I'm sure it will when I install OS X 12, or whatever Apple calls it.

The difference between Windows and the MacOS is that this is a one-time place where hardware REALLY benefits you. Future versions of Mac OS X will not be such a big jump up in hardware needs -- it's probably going to be as gradual as it was in the Classic MacOS days. Windows however, scales much more quickly, and you require new hardware much more quickly.

I use OS X regularly on my Beige G3. It does run a bit slow, but certainly usable.

My point, and I realize that I jumped around a bit, is that it should be running faster than it does.

Also worth noting, is that under YellowDogLinux, which is Linux for the PPC, there is process management, like you were saying, which prevents most user applications from monopolizing the cpu. Yet, for some reason, that darn 266mhz beige g3 tower 'feels' faster than my G4 733 running Mac OS X.

I know they are very different operating systems. I just think OS X should run faster than it does.

almost 24 hours since the last post to this thread and my"software is uptodate". oh well. we can only keep checking and hope this isn't one of those rumors that acts like a virus and has us all fruitlessly checking and anticipating the release.

till tomorrrow i guess.:)

Back