Where is Tiger !?

mw84

Registered
I've been trying to buy Tiger from shops around town all day. I've tried PC World, Currys, Dixons, Tesco and ASDA and no one has it ! :mad: Does anyone know which uk highstreet store stocks Tiger?

John Lewis, although maybe not the kind of store you were thinking of, always stocks Mac items. :)

Look at how much larger the US is :).

Why not just order it online? Or visit the Apple Store in Regent Street.

John Lewis looks like it has it, I'll try in Liverpool tomorrow. I wanted to get it today that's why I didn't order it online and I wont be in London again now for a few weeks so I wouldn't be able to get to the regent street store until then, unless I got my dad to go then post it to me, which would take longer than orderig online.

Thanks everyone.

It turns out PC World DID have it in stock they just didn't want to sell it to me for some strange reason. I called their contact centre who told me they had two in stock and that they'd get them to get one out of the warehouse for me. I'm really not sure why they're not putting it out on the shelves, when I went before they said that they definitely didn't have it in stock but now miraculously they do? Strange. Anyway, I'm happy now.

looks like im going to have to get a copy too. (unless someone can tell me how to get my root password! I installed tiger, but cant remember if i A) didnt change the root password, or B) changed it to something, but dont remember it! I have the acct. set up as admin, but the 'root' password eludes me, thanks!)

delsoljb32 said:
looks like im going to have to get a copy too. (unless someone can tell me how to get my root password! I installed tiger, but cant remember if i A) didnt change the root password, or B) changed it to something, but dont remember it! I have the acct. set up as admin, but the 'root' password eludes me, thanks!)
Did you definitely set a root password? If so, this setting may or may not have been preserved when you performed an installation of Tiger. Use NetInfo to set a root password, but I'd advise against it. I'd leave the root account alone if you can. "sudo" does everything you need, without creating the security risk of enabling root logins. ("man sudo" in the Terminal for more information)

But... one question... why are you wanting to buy Tiger if you already have it and have installed it? Or did you not actually buy Tiger in the first place?...

hehe, well my dad bought the multi-license install a couple months ago, and i moved to another city last month :(

I need a copy for myself for a reinstall, so I can then install Oracle 10g. (unless the 'sudo' thing will work for me, ill look into it ;) )

delsoljb32 said:
hehe, well my dad bought the multi-license install a couple months ago, and i moved to another city last month :(
Ah, OK.

delsoljb32 said:
I need a copy for myself for a reinstall, so I can then install Oracle 10g. (unless the 'sudo' thing will work for me, ill look into it ;) )
I would expect sudo is fine, and much safer. You can use "sudo -s" if you really have to. Doing that indefinitely gives you root privileges (during that Terminal session, until you logout), while sudo normally grants root privileges temporarily (eg. for one specific command or for a limited period of time). "Opening up" a root account makes you more vulernable to intruders. By using sudo, you can assume the privileges you need without taking unnecessary risks. Best of both worlds, if you ask me. ;)

you know, what makes the whole comet/dixons/PC world i dont have osx tiger thing even more irraatating is they used to sell macs off the shelf themselves, well dixon did definetely.
and they have plenty of ipods instock, hey maybe they just think they're only compatable with windblows. Isn't there some law abouit lying to customers about a product,

Maybe the guy was a lazy bas$%rd and didnt fancy the walk.

Ooooh my blood boils sometimes.

Is it just me that gets annoyed about things like that.

The whole walk into the shops and buy a mac product is a real downer for me because of were i live. I need to know in advance that games like warcraft are multiformat. so i can buy th box labeled pc-cd rom :(

Back