Where should be all the Fonts to reside?

rossiv

Registered
When I'm using older version of MacOs like 9, i just put it inside the Font's system folder and that's it!

How about MacOs X? They are all scattered. Some are in the old Classic System folder, some are in Macintosh's Library and some are in User's Library.

And some are in the /System/Library/. In MacOS X, fonts are not "scattered," they are "distributed." This is well known. Use Spotlight to locate the various Fonts folders on your computer. And under no circumstances do you remove fonts from the /System//Library/Fonts/ folder.

I had always thought the best way to install fonts was to use Font Book (in the Applications folder) to do the install, rather than manually copying them into font folders. And Font Book can tell you the file path to all your installed fonts if you click on one within Font Book and do Get Info.

2 questions as a follow up to this:

1. Where do I install fonts so that all users can access all of the fonts in all programmes that use fonts?

2. Can someone explain Mac font types to me please? AFAIK, there's dfont, ttf and otf, where otf and ttf are the only ones interchangeable with a PC.

If I'm going to print>save as PDF, can I use any font at all?

Oh and one more question. OS9 had the "Sand" font. My G4 running 10.2.8 doesn't have OS9 on it, so no "Sand" font. How can I get this font from the OS9 disks? And will it be in a format that can be used on OSX?

Back