Where the **** is Palm?

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
Okay, Palm had promised their OS X software by the end of the year. They now have 4 days left to fulfill this promise. I hope they get their act together and have something to release at MWSF.

Anybody else waiting on this?

The Palm Sync works with 9.2.2 only if you've got an USB craddle. According to Palm, the USB sync works fine in classic too, but I've not tried this one.
Maybe Apple should do it itself, as for the digital cameras...

After completely giving up about 3 months, I decided to try syncing my Palm again after reading this thread. And what do you know? It freaking works! Happy birthday to me! :D

Check out versiontracker... It seems a preview of the official palm synching software has just appeared...

The year 2001 is not finished yet =)

dani++

It's so funny when the universe makes people look bad...

If any of you guys caught the episode of www.appleturns.com on Friday, they had said in their post that OS X 10.1.2 wasn't out. 30 minutes after their post went online, Apple posts the OS X 10.1.2 update in the Software Update control panel.

Now serpicolugnut says there's no Palm Desktop software for OS X, and about 2 hours later someone points out that there's a preview of the software available. Hilarious! :)

But when is Apple going to release that Quad-2 GHz G5 with 5 GB of RAM? I thought it was supposed to be out by the end of the year! :D (Watch this come out at MWSF -- :p )

Isn't it so true, though? I am trying so hard to eliminate Microsoft products from my daily routine, but goodness is it hard! OS X 10.1.2 was supposed to bring SSL support for Mail.app, but no go! So I guess I'll have to stick with Outlook Express. Omniweb? Still slow for this forum, and since I come on here a lot, I guess I'll have to keep using IE.

Ah well.

Originally posted by simX
Isn't it so true, though? I am trying so hard to eliminate Microsoft products from my daily routine, but goodness is it hard! OS X 10.1.2 was supposed to bring SSL support for Mail.app, but no go! So I guess I'll have to stick with Outlook Express. Omniweb? Still slow for this forum, and since I come on here a lot, I guess I'll have to keep using IE.

Ah well.

Actually, have you tried the Omniweb 4.1 beta? Pretty damn impressive since the last 4.0.x build I tried. Still has some Java and Flash problems, and I submitted them as bugs. I am really interested to see how it turns out when it is released.

I noticed that OW 4.1b1 is much improved in speed. However, it is still unbearably slow when browsing the MacOSX.com forums, I think because there are so many images, what with all the smilies and stuff. ;) So I'm still using IE right now (and don't even get me started on Netscape!).

Actually, my theory of why Omniweb is so slow here is tables; try loading a relatively small HTML with a table, and see if it takes longer than another HTML of the same size (or so) without a table. At least that's been my observations to date...

Why not get you started on Nutscrape? A public lynching on the piece of crap they call a web browser might be fun! ;-)

But here's something I noticed about IE vs. Omniweb. This is something I remember back when IE was at around 2.0 and comparing it to the Netscape of that time. They took different approaches to loading in pages. Where Netscape would wait until the whole page is loaded before displaying, IE would show the text while it was loading images, so you could at least start reading the content. Seems that Omniweb takes the Netscape approach. Have you noticed that once the page is displayed in Omniweb all the images are there? I'd like to see benchmark tests between IE5 and the Omniweb beta.

Well, I finally got Palm's X software from someone's iDisk (check macnn.com's forums).

First, they should be lynched for that awful download fiasco - 150 users max? Hours later and they haven't sent me my unique URL in email either.

Anyway, while I found it worked, my AvantGo client didn't - and that's the ONLY reason I synch at home. All my other synching is at work on a Windows - and there I do ToDo, Address, etc.

Anyway...so I had to Uninstall OSX's new version and then REinstall the OS9 version.

I just tested it in OS9 and everything's back and working as it should.

But...now I can't get it to Synch at ALL in Classic. This was a problem I had pre-10.1 but 10.1 fixed that.

Did 10.1.1 or 10.1.2 mess everything up? (I probably having synched since upgrading to those versions)

Any help to get my Classic synching working again in 10.1.2 would be appreciated!

(Note: I also had to go to great lengths w/ AvantGo to be able to synch both on Windows and Mac - AvantGo told me I had to use very old versions which aren't even avail. for download any more - they had to email me "special" URLs. What a pain!)

Looks like they are up to 300 users max now... I connected on my 13th try and its downloading, painfully slow. I don't think they expected such an outpouring, especially during the holidays. Shows how much people want to be running OS X full-time.

Admin

... it just occurred to me after reading this thread again. Have you looked closely at what my avatar says? :D

(I know this has nothing to do with Palm. :p)

Back