Where to buy your next Mac?

drustar

Gold Member
Just a general question:
Would you buy your next Mac to an Apple Store or to some private mom and pop computer shop (like Crywolf)?

I'd go w/ MacMall because you get some free cool stuff (rebates) but when I get a Mac, I just want to see it and take it home... As oppose to having to wait.

I was thinking macmall or similar (so I can spend the difference of the sales taxes then on my local Apple Store :p ) but their "FREE" RAM upgrade cost 160 $ when a non-free RAM of the same size would have been 130 $ in many other places ... I called j&r (www.jandr.com) and was telling them I want to add a 512 mb slice more, when they told they'd give me free a 256 mb more (=512 mb total) ... so I'll try to see how the beast will run with 512 mb! It's really hard to wait a few days, but the 10 % difference .. I will enjoy spending that on the Apple Store! :p

Ordering from the Apple store, you're always going to pay sales tax and shipping. Other companies that don't have a brick&mortar store in your state, don't (most) charge sales tax. And, if you play with them a little, you could possible get free shipping. Tell the one you're talking to, that this other company, even name a company, will ship for free. I've had two orders from Macmall that I told this to and got free shipping.

Wherever I can get the best steal. As in, whichever store is easiest to break into. ;)

Actually, I'd go with whomever I could get the cheapest overall price with. If one store has a discount but doesn't offer extra RAM for free, and another does, I'd go with the second, etc.

Back