Where'd da files go?

Trelane

Registered
Whenever I download something from the internet, the file doesn't show in the Finder. It'll only show up if I search for it in Sherlock and drag (not drop) what I find to the window where it's supposed to be. Then it magically appears whereever Sherlock said it was supposed to be, even though it wasn't there before.
???
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?
-Trelane

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?
Nothing, really : it is the Finder that is not yet fully optimised, so it takes much longer than in OS 9 to visually update the content of the disks.

I guess (and hope !) that the Finder will be snapier in the final version.

Yes, but it doesn't show up period until I search for it. We're talking files I downloaded two days ago that didn't show up until I searched for them today.

I also have the exact same problem, but my way to fix it is even more sad. I just save an .rtf file in textedit to the same folder to make it 'refresh' to show the files.

I'm thinking bout making an applescript to make a file and delete as a half-arsed fix. Unless someone knows a better way to fix this problem?

Look at what I just found !

This slowness to update the display seems to be an "unwanted feature" of MSIE 5 for X, at least according to this TIL :http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n106017

The TIL also explains how to make those file appear :
In Internet Explorer:
1. Choose Download Manager from the Tools menu.
2. Double-click the item you wish to see.
3. In the window that appears, click Reveal in Finder. A Finder window opens containing the item you downloaded.

Back