wheres my hard drive gone?

54mitch

Registered
I've lost my hard drive on my wifes g 4i book. we've been having a problem with the network utility so I booted up with the original disc. went to disc utility and it said disc had problems and now the hard drive is not there. I can start with original disc and then when it gets to what destinatiion disk there is not one. I'am dead. anybody have this happen to them?

Use the disk utility on the "original disk" to check the hard drive. You get to it by selecting language and going one or two steps into this install. Don't go to far. Keep watching the the top bar of the finder. As soon as you see "Utilities" up there you are far enough. Goto Utilities>Disk Utility and see if the hard drive is listed there. If it is, run disk repair on it. If it is not, Your problem is more dire. I would then replace the hard drive. Hopefully you are backed up. IF not, get an external enclosure and try repeatedly to start it until you are successful then immediately transfer your info using migration assistant to your fresh install. I had to do ALL these things on an iMac yesterday. Good Luck

Back