Which 120GB Firewire Drive Should I Get?

Cory Bauer

Registered
Hi,

I'm looking to add a 120GB Firewire drive to sit beside my 800Mhz G4 Flat Panel iMac; it's main purpose will be storage for video and render files to be used in Final Cut Pro. I'd just like to ask the opinions of Firewire drive owners to find which one is the best, as there are so many to choose from. Currently, I'm looking at OWC's 120GB Firewire drive, and the 120GB GVP Storage Products that Clubmac offers. The OWC costs a little bit more, but it looks a heck of a lot nicer. Anyhow, any input/exeriences/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here's what I've heard about FireWire HD's and this is especially true if you are going to use it for video editing:

You're going to want one that has the Oxford911 Pro chipset. You also want the one with the highest RPM, 7200 is preferred. Otherwise, you can get interruptions between your Mac and the hard drive and that can cause dropped frames in your DV films.

That being said, I used a 4200 RPM portable harddrive with my iBook to edit DV videos in iMovie, and didn't have much of a problem. But if you're looking for quality and compatability, I'd stick with the OWC drive.

I heartily endorse what themacko says. Stick with the OWC 7200rpm drive. You pay extra for quality.:p

Back