Which digicam to get?

Giaguara

Chmod 760
Staff member
Mod
Which digicam should I get? I have tried to limit a bit the choises of the hundreds of models... so, I chose 3+ MPI models and under 400 $ (with one extra memory card to add). I will use the photos for purposes that make the 2 MPI cameras not be ok, and so e.g. how the camera will repeat the blue shades is essential. I do need optical zoom, having only digital zoom isn't ok. I wish I could get a 5 MPI and 10 x optical zoom fully professional model, but the $ is an issue. Here are the models which are 3+ MPI and not over$$$y and not unknown marks, and that work with OS X.

What would you get? Or do you have / have you used some of these? ::angel::

- CANON PowerShot A70
3.2 MPI, 3x opt. 3.2 dig. (tot. 10x) z., macro from 2", enough programs for shooting, 16 MB card, 1,5" tft screen. iso 50-400. about 260-280 $
sharp pix, good blue colors etc

- FUJI FILM FinePix 3800
3.2 MPI, 6 x opt. 3.2 dig. z. macro from 4", enough programs for shooting (=landscape, person, macro, night etc), iso 100 (only?)?, about 350 $
i haven't found big pictures made with this, i want to see how it repeats blue.

The main alternatives are those 2. If 3800 had written it'd have 50 - 400(+) iso, i would love it (100 ISO isn't great). bigger optical zoom is great. how does it show colors (compared to A70)? i will work the images digitally...

there are some other models that could do as well. all these satisfy my criteria, and work with 10.2.
i just feel i would like them some less:

- Canon PowerShot S230 - about 360 $
3.2 MPI, 2xopt, 3.2x dig (6.4 tot) z, 16 mb card

- Kodak DX-4330 - about 280 $
3.1 mpi, 3x opt, 3.1 digi z. 16 mb card

- Nikon Coolpix 3100 - about 350 $
3.2 mpi, 3xopt. 4 digi z, 16 mb card

- Sony DSC-P52 - about 280 $
3.14 mpi, 6.4 digi z. (i hate to have only digital zoom! argh!), 16 mb card

- Sony DSC-P72 - about 330 $
3.2 mpi, 3x opt 2 x digi (6 x tot) z, 16 mb card

Any suggestions? ::angel::

select the biggest lense for enough luminosity. There no standard for ISO in digital (noise level or similar) so the best you can do is look for a large lense. And digital zoom is of no use.

Wow. Those pics are made with the same family fuji camera, previous model and 2 mpi. but their colors and sharpness are good. So the fuji's equivalent has to be at least that good.

I think i'm leaning a bit to the Fuji.. ;)

I really like the Olympus offerings, which you don't list at all. They produce good balanced color, have plenty of options (programs?) great response to the shutter and they have the heft and feel of a good camera. Sorry I don't have model numbers (the ones I've used are Japanese models), but there are a number of them in the 3.3 mpi range.

The response to the shutter thing is important in whatever camera you finally get. Nothing worse than waiting for the perfect shot and having the camera take the one after that.

Completely personal rant - can't stand Fuji color. They are tooooo green. Kodak went to Fuji some 15 years ago (God I'm getting old) to ask them how to improve their film and Fuji said - Must maiku moore gleen! ;(

</rant>

Check it. . .

Woa.jpg

Woa2.jpg

Woa3.jpg

Woa4.jpg

Drippage.jpg

Water.jpg

I've heard really good things about the Nikon Coolpix 3100. I'm in the market for a digital camera right now, and have been doing lots of research. Nikon cameras are known for one of the best macro modes out there, and good color as well. check out http://www.dcresource.com. Its written by a Mac guy and has lots of good info. I've decided on the Sony DSC F717, I can't wait to get it!!!! HTH

Back