Which digital camera...

steven_lufc

Registered
I am venturing into the world of digital photography and would like advice on a 1st camera. I will use it for nothing special just normal everyday photographs. I have been tempted by the Pentax Optio S4 but thought I'd ask for an expert opinion. Also, is it as simple as the higher the no. of megapixels, the better the quality of picture?
I have approx £350

It's a little more complex than just that. I recommend cameras from Canon, Olympus or Nikon.

Do a search, there are some good threads on it. BobW was in the market just a few weeks ago and there was a good thread on various cameras.

Well first I do not know how many dollars £350 is. I just purchased a Cannon S50 for about $400 online. It is 5 MP allows you take short movies,fits in the palm of your hand and takes nice pictures.

Calliex

I bought the Fuji FinePix 3800 for approximately $224.00 at best buy. It's a great camera. Glad I bought this one.

Ok, since Bob posted in here, here is my recommendation:
I am going to buy the Sony DSC P8 in few days. Price: 270€.

Personal favorite that can turn out very professional stuff for even the newest novice:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF06b/15179-64213-64342-12117-f30-90124-90126-90127.html

Too pricy? Try the next one down:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF06b/15179-64213-64342-12117-f30-90111-90113-90114.html

*I've got an HP Photosmart 120 (very low quality, but I got it for $100!) and it hasn't let me down today! I usually take it skateboarding with me, i've dropped it an uncountable number of times, I've even broken off the thing that holds the batteries in! And it still runs like it was just bought!

I liked the Olympus Camedia c-740 UZ too much. 10x optical zoom + 3x digital, 3,2 mpi, controls and everything on the places that seem logical and easy to use .. that may go a bit over your scale; on a good offer you may be able to find it on 350-400 $ though. The colors even in dark and no flash look really good. I would not want to change. :)

I've got the Optio S4 - it's a DREAM camera...

I used to work in photography, and I've also got Nikon D1X and F5, but for portablility, ease of use, and picture quality all bundled together, the Pentax is fantastic - all in a package smaller than a pack of cards...

I highly recommend this as an "all in one" camera - but if you want to venture further in the future, you shouldn't dismiss something that allows you to change lenses... (D1X would be overkill at this stage, though!)

steven_lufc said:
I am venturing into the world of digital photography and would like advice on a 1st camera. I will use it for nothing special just normal everyday photographs. I have been tempted by the Pentax Optio S4 but thought I'd ask for an expert opinion. Also, is it as simple as the higher the no. of megapixels, the better the quality of picture?
I have approx £350

P.S. BTW, no - it's not as simple as number of pixels! The lens will play a huge part in picture quality...

Good luck making your decision - but I think you've started off looking at one of the best solutions...

;)

I recently bought the Olympus C-50. 5mp, 3x digital, xd chip, movie mode (no sound). Fits in the palm of my hand. I'm very happy with it....just got back from Boston this morning with it (3am!). :->

In my opinion Canon is the only way to go — Be it still or video!

Don't base you decision on a still camera that offers video too, and digital zoom is basically useless. You can always increase the photo size later with the same results.

Leave yourself some money to upgrade the media and buy an extra battery so you can swap them out.

Back