Which hand held for OSX?

swizcore

Help Guide Coordinator
First I wanna say Hi(!) to all my old friends from here, Ive been so busy for so long I cant begin to explain.

Just wondering what Palm Pilot or other type of hand held you would recommend I look into for using with OSX. I just wanna use it for contact info and some note keeping.
Thanks brothers and sistas.

swiz... glad to see you back... how's the theming going? you do good stuff.

that said... wait!!! dont buy a pda yet... wait another couple months and pick up the Danger Hiptop www.danger.com . Woz is on the board for them and it has a lot of cool features... and its not Palm or WinCE... nice!

if you ultimately need something. now.. go with the sony Clie.

Hmm... If just to keep notes and stuff... I would probably get a Handspring - since they are discontinuing the Visors, you'll find some REALLY good deals. The Edge is nice - very slim and flat. If you don't mind bulkier - I'd go with the Visor Neo. I personally like AAA batteries (since I tend to travel) and the Neo can be had for cheap.

For a Palm, I like the m130 (cheap color display) or the m125(?)... The main thing about these two is that they has SD cards so you can get a Bluetooth adaptor for them later on.

Clies are nice too - but I am annoyed that they don't support Macs out of the box.

Personally, I'd wait for a few months to see what companies are releasing Palm OS 5 handhelds - those can use ARM processors, making them more powerful.

Swizcore,

This might be more than you want to spend, but I am using the Palm m505 with Desktop 4.0, PalmReader, Pocket Quicken, Pass Wallet, TealDoc and DataViz's Docs To Go. All in OSX. It is really sweet.

-iGuy

Excellent. Thanks for the wide variety of info guys. Im not really in a rush so I'll keep my eyes peeled on all of your suggestions.
Thanks for the compliment on my theme work rinse, Ive been so busy with design and my band that I havent been able to even think about them for a while though :)

Again, thanks guys. Great info.

Get a Handspring Visor Edge!!! I love it! It works perfect! Even with the Palm Software!

Got mine for 169€! :D :p

I was just looking at the Palm m130 and I noticed it said that it only supports OS 9.x Does anyone know if it works with OS X? Thanks.

Originally posted by ramseyt
I was just looking at the Palm m130 and I noticed it said that it only supports OS 9.x Does anyone know if it works with OS X? Thanks.

As long as you use the Palm Desktop for Mac OS X, it should work just fine. If the Mac OS X version of PD isn't in the box, you can just download it from Palm.com (which is what I had to do when I upgraded to a M505).

Rise.

What is the differance betweent the Danger and the Sidekick from T-Moblie. They even look identical.
http://www.t-mobile.com//products/overview.asp?phoneid=165302&loc=prod_sidekick
*Edit... They are identical. Same product. It is out now.*

I have been thinking of getting a PDA of some sort, but there is nothing out that I want. I hate that you have to write a certain way to make it work. If it worked like Ink then I would be all for it. I want like a digital journal. That is all really. With the date and time. I keep a food journal (as I am always on a diet) on my mac with MacJournal. I would love something that I could just write down what I am eating while I am out. I just use pen and paper now.

Matthew

Originally posted by Inline_guy
Rise.

I hate that you have to write a certain way to make it work. If it worked like Ink then I would be all for it. I want like a digital journal.

Graffiti with the Palm OS really isn't bad at all. After owning a Newton, I thought I would hate it but it's not as arcane as one would think. It's really easy to learn.

I've always liked my Palm (m505) better than my Newton (MP2100). It's way smaller which really makes a difference, much more compatible, and surprisingly it has always felt faster even though the Newton was 160mhz and the Palm is only 33mhz.

The iPod has a lot of the same capabilities as a Palm. Although, you can only input info from your Mac (to my knowledge) and not directly from the iPod which kills it for those needing a full fledged PDA.

I've owned a couple of Windows CE palmtops - a Casio running CE 1, and a Phillips running CE 2 ... sure they're both pretty old now. I'd like to point out that they sucked. Even under WinCE 2, it still crashed on a regular basis with no additional software installed. They ended up dying of a virus that required me to remove the backup battery in order to clear the memory. I'm told newer versions of WinCE are better, but as far as I care they've had their chance.
I look forward to getting either a Palm or Handspring with support for BlueTooth sometime soon. I like the Zire, but its only 2mb and can't be expanded, however it would be a handy little note-taker and organiser in a cheap, stylish and compact package.

Back