Which Is Better for My Needs: iPod Mini or iPod Shuffle?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
Hello, all.

(I hope I've chosen the proper section in which to post this. If not, Mods, please feel free to relocate this thread. Thank you.)

I've been mulling this over for months now. And I still can't decide. I don't know which would be better for me, personally--the iPod Mini or the iPod Shuffle. They both have advantages and disadvantages, like anything I guess. On one hand, I like the screen display of the Mini and having total control over which songs are played and when. On the hand, I don't like its size, weight or price. As far as the Shuffle goes, I love the fact that you can simply wear it around your neck with the lanyard it comes with and just drop it down the front of your shirt. I don't like the fact that the Mini must be clipped to your belt or waistband--that's a pain in the butt when trying to work out at the gym and always having to adjust the darn thing. I love the lightweight Shuffle (and it's only half the price of the Mini), but alas, the major drawback to the Shuffle is if you want to hear a certain song and it's all the way at the end of your play list, you'll spend an awful lot of time click-click-clicking all the way down the list. And it has no screen display, of course, so you just have to go by sound.

So ... as you can see, I'm having a heck of a time deciding which would be better for me. If anyone could offer me some insight/comments/suggestions on which one might be the better choice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh, I recently heard (and I don't know if this is true or not) that the Shuffle would be better for me because it doesn't have a hard drive, thererfore has no internal moving parts, therefore cannot get damaged if bumped or jostled. The Mini, on the other hand, does have a hard drive with internal moving parts and could get damaged if taken a bruisin'.

Please keep in mind that I would be using my iPod 90 percent of the time for working out, exercising, running, weightlifting and other gym/outdoor activities.

Thanks so much for any feedback.

The shuffel has no use of playlists at all, it just plays them in order or random, that's it.

I would go for the mini. If I had to chose again, I would go for the mini for sure (as my 15GB iPod is now pretty oversized for me...). I think the mini is much better to use, and from my expirience, if you get a small padded case for the iPod, it won't get mad and break etc. I jogged and sprinted quite often in the past year with my iPod in my pocket to catch a bus, and it still runs without problems. They can take more then one would think :)

Arguments pro mini, from my expirience with my iPod:
  • Space for a decent amount of playlists/albums
  • the possibility to chose albums/playlists at will
  • No pain in the arse when you want to hear a certain song
  • Though well spaced, still relatively small
  • easy to place in your pocket, on your arm, wrist, etc...

But I am a lot on the road per pedes, so I use it quite a lot. If you just want something that plays MP3s, is basically not affected by shocks from jogging for instance, and do not really need to listen to specific songs or do not care if you can not chose a specific song at a time: The shuffel is maybe the better choice ( I personally think it's too expensive compared to the real iPods)

Back