which kind of RAM for iBook

SoniCX

Registered
Hi guys,

i've got (another) question. I'm going to buy an Apple iBook. It will be my first Mac (I'm switching from Windows XP) and so I've no experience with hard- or/and software. How is that if I buy SO-Dimm, must it be SO-Dimm for an Apple notebook or can that be any kind of SO-Dimm for whatever notebook? I'm asking because I figured that it's much cheaper not to buy Apples RAM. Local dealers are much cheaper!

The new G4 iBooks take PC 2100 DDR SO-DIMMs, up to 512MB is supported officially, however there a reports that a 1GB stick will work.

I recommend avoiding 4allmemory.com. Someone else on this site recommended them, so I gave them a try and got a bum RAM. Not his fault, but nonetheless. Could also be a fluke.

mindbend said:
I recommend avoiding 4allmemory.com. Someone else on this site recommended them, so I gave them a try and got a bum RAM. Not his fault, but nonetheless. Could also be a fluke.

May have been me. Sorry, if it was me. I've bought tons of RAM from them and never had one bad stick.

A 1GB stick works in the iBook???? Tell me more please.

The 1GB sticks are unsupported by Apple but many people have tried them and seem to work. I can tell you that if your iBook fails while the memory is installed Apple probably wont fix your system under warranty or AppleCare since it falls out of designed specifications.

Back