Which mac?

macguy17

DDR 4 EVR
My GF is thinking of buying a new mac, all she really wants is internet and cd burning.
I told her try the new iMac but she wanted a REAL mac expert to suggest one, so here I am...

-macguy

Well... if she just needs internet and CD burning... a low end new iMac or even an eMac would be fine. I think I would get a new iMac... cause they just look great.

Aleph One should run great on a new iMac too :)

if she's in some sort of college right now, she should get an emac! low end imacs are great, but from what i've heard, the 17 inch screen is a major plus over the smaller imac...

Depends on money too, unless she's feelthy rich, I guess. eMacs seem pretty good in that respect.

I'd be a little suspicious of eMacs for another year or so though, until all the kinks in the new model get worked out - it's like buying the first model-year of a car (Gawd that was a cheesy metaphor)

Go for the new flatscreen iMac! My friend just got one and it's perfect for CD burning (and DVD, mind you) and if you buy her a cable modem the internet won't be a problem.

But beleive me, the flatscreen movement will make it fun for everybody, if you upgrade it's graphics card as well she'll have a blast blowing the scrud out of her friends arses over the net.

There...now you've got my 2 cents. :)

ive seen good deals for imacs on ebay.com,. and half.com...

some real nicely equipped ones for as low as $400.... something to think about.. :)

The latest iMac should be the first on the list. If she's at school, then eMac is another option, but for $150 more, I would get the LCD display instead. Get the original iMac if she's on a really tight budget.

Price comparison

iMac II $1,399.00
eMac $1,249.00
iMac $999.00

Spec comparison

iMac II
700MHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache @ 700 MHz
128MB SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA drive
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
56K internal modem