which one is fast

designer

Registered
Hey,

Let me ask you something..

Which one is faster machine or OS for 3D work and web developing..

Painter on my mac is really slow that unusuable..

Illustrator, Freehand etc.. also slow.. WHY?

Why terminal is F--King slow.

Terminal is OS X native program, isn't it? :(

I am losing my reasons to keep my Mac.. :(

G4 Dual 500

Mac OS X.1.2

786mg RAM..

Still application is slower than PC why?

PC that I am using at work has only 256mg RAM and 600 Mhz, and PC seems (not technogy aspect) faster than my belove Mac..

I am little sad here..

First, there is an OpenGL terminal which is a bit faster, but, what I think, is that there is something running on your system which shouldn't run! I used to have the same Mac at work (I usually worked on PCs as a programmer but later I finally persuaded my boss to get a Mac) and the mentioned apps where fast in classic and the ported apps even faster in OS X....MUCH faster than my 1Ghz Pentium.

1. Do you use "Mail"? If yes, either stop using it or turn the "automatic receive" to something like "every half our". Anything else slows down the system DRAMATICALLY.

2. Start your system, start the terminal, type "top -s 1" and check what's running. If there is anything hogging more then 5% of the CPU while you do NOTHING, QUIT it, delete it, it's a bad app! I had an app which showed me the free disk space on my HDDs on a window, a really nice tool...until I checked the running processes. It was so poorly written that this simple window displaying the free space used around 25 to 30% of my 867 CPU ALL THE TIME! I quit it and my system again got a bit faster.

3. Do a prebinding. "sudo update_prebinding -root /". It won't speed up the apps itself but speed up launch times.

4. Check your system. Check it twice. On the exact same system I ran OS X and it was a dream...as it should be on this machine! FASTER than a 600 Mhz PC. THere is something wrong with your system, believe my! Once you find it (which shouldn't be that hard), you will be much more happy ;)

What video card do you have in your machine. What 3D app are you using for creation?

If you are using the stock ATI Rage128 16MB card that might account for some of your speed woes. You definitely have enough RAM, so another possibility is your hard disk. Is it 5400RPM, or 7200RPM. OS X (even with gobs of RAM) will pageout to the HD frequently for some tasks, and if it's a slower HD your performance might suffer.

If you are using Lightwave or Cinema4D, both require a 32MB video card for optimal use (they will work with a 16MB card, but OpenGL screen redraws will be slow). I suggest an ATI Radeon32MB card. Actually, I've got an AGP (and an PCI) Radeon up for grabs on eBay right now if you are interested.

If all your apps are as slow as you say (even Terminal), you might have some serious hard drive degredation/fragmentation. You might need to back everything up, run Norton and optimize. If that doesn't work, you may want to wipe your drive clean, format with zeros, and restinall the OS.

A dual500 isn't going to be a screamer with OS X, but it should be sufficiently fast enough that Terminal doesn't seem slow.

Mac driver support are bad, they don't take the full potentiel of the hardware, if you want to do SERIOUS WORK, use your PC, macs are just for looks, nothing more...

Don't listen to the village idiot, he doesn't know what he is talking about, he never even owned a Mac.

Don't worry ulrik.

I don't listen to him. Whatever he said, he is not in my league anyway.

Thank you for yorur help.

I will try everything that serpicolugnut and ulrik suggested.

serpicolugnut, you're right I only have a 16MB card. I will send you email if I decide to get 32MB card.

Thanx again..

Even the 16 MB card shouldn't slow down the system that much, as I said, I used exact the same config (a bit less ram) at work and it was fast.

Please tell us how it worked out and if anything of the mentioned solutions helped you!

Back