Which one the best money can buy?

azrad

Not-so-junior Member
hi,

recently, my office would like to buy a mac for me. they told me to consider between the 15" imac and 17" emac.

my day-to-day job most likely to do with web programming. running apace + mysql + php. i might do some photoshop editing, mostly to do with touch up of the photo for web templates. im also would to venture into quicktime movie just for small video clip to put in the website.

any suggestion would be most appreciated.

Hmmmmm, hard choice. I'd personally take the eMac in this case, but it's a close thing. I'd probably opt to pay the difference for a 17" iMac, myself :D
BTW, if you are in the US, order from MacMall, you get a lot of free RAM from there (RAM == good, of course!)

Since the 17" eMac and 15" iMac have the same screen aspect, more of a 4:3 range, either would be pretty similar. The eMac would have the slight edge on the size though. A 17" iMac would make more sense to me for programming duties with the wider aspect of the screen compared to the 15". Take a look at the picture on the iMac page under the Apple Store if you don't get my meaning there, it's uite noticable. Of course there's a $500 difference, but you also get the better screen, video card (double ram, better chipset), and a superdrive.

BTW, Apple has the a iMac G4 1.25GHz/256MB/80GB/SuperDrive/E/56K/17" ($1499) in the refurb category. $200 might be much easier to sell the powers that be than the $500.

hey, thanks guys.

unfortunately, im not US. im from malaysia. let me show u the price in RM (my currency).

17" iMac 1.25GHz/256MB/80GB/SuperDrive -> ~RM7200
15" iMac 1GHz/256MB/80GB/Combo -> ~RM5200
17" eMac 1.25GHz/256MB/80GB/SuperDrive -> ~RM4000

i wish my company had given me option for 17" iMac then i would have not considered the 15" iMac and 17" eMac.

You're in KL? Do you order from a store there or do you get from Apple HK or Apple Sing?
The screen aspect will be similar so I would recommend getting the one that you can max out the ram on.
That said, all things being equal, I'd probably opt for the iMac, just because of the design factor and flexibility in where you want the screen. And I prefer its monitor to an eMac, which still is a good deal these days.

Well, the eMac has a faster processor, SuperDrive, and is cheap enough for you to buy as much RAM as it will hold, to name a few things. I really like the iMac better, but in this case, I don't think it's specs can keep up. Of course, if you managed to get the iMac 17", you'd get everything the eMac has plus a much better video card and a much better screen, which is why I'd personally try to go with that.

ok,

i've decided to do some modification of the eMac so that i can atleast give up on the beauty of the iMac series. i have come up with this new specs for the eMac.

17" eMac 1.25GHz/1GB/80GB/SuperDrive/AirPort Extreme/Bluetooth -> ~RM5500

any comment? ehehehe...

Do you need AirPort Extreme with an eMac? And the bluetooth is good, though you can always get an external module that works fine for about 100 ringgit or less. And will you need SuperDrive at work? You could probably drop that and get the 160-GB hard drive since you're not talking about a personal Mac.
But as mentioned before, get the ram maxed.

SuperDrives are nice, but a Combo will do just dandy, if you'd rather have a huge hard drive. I'd drop the Bluetooth unless you really need the wireless keyboard. The Airport is cool, but unless you will really be benefitting from using a wireless network, or will be working with lots of 802.11 equipped laptops, I'd say you could drop that too.

I just checked, to make the 17" iMac the same level as the 17" eMac you listed, it's about 200% more expensive, at least in US $.

By the way, get Applecare if you can, it's worth it :)

hey guys, thanks for your inputs... you guys rock!!!

1. Airport Extreme - i don't think i will be using it in the office, since we're still using
cables.
2. Bluetooth - i want to have this, since i have bluetooth enable phone. just for the fun of it.
3. Combo drive - this is what i need since i don't do videos.
4. Applecare - is a must have.

Ok, now here's the new configuration.

17" eMac 1.25GHz/1GB/160GB/Combo/Bluetooth/APP -> ~RM5600

not bad at all...
hehehe...

Back