Which optical mouse is the best?

iMan

?¿?
I just bought an Kensington optical mouse 'Optical Elite' and I'm not happy with the optical part on it.
It skips and the cursor gets lost on the screen,quite often, especially when I'm playing games with a lot of mouse movement.
So my question is which mouse has the best optical sensor, which is the best mouse out there?

What are you guys experiences and opinions?

Viktor

:eek: spelling corrected :rolleyes:

First of all it is 'which' - Sorry I'm a stickler on grammar and spelling.

I can't say that I've tried every optical mouse out there, but Macally make pretty good ones. I use an iBook so I wanted something small that I could take with me, so I bought the Macally micro-mouse and it is fantastic.

Check them out at www.macally.com

Mat

oops, sorry for the spelling.. my mother tongue is swedish not english, and my spelling in swedish is equally bad :D

I have a friend with the macally and it seemed good. Before the Kensington I had a Microsoft optical mouse which was much better a bit on the heavy side but good optics. It lasted me four years.

Viktor

soory for being a jackass about the spelling. I have very picky friends and have become a real error knocker.

I would definitely have a look at macally's range. Does your mouse have a defect to skip like you mentioned, or is it just a dud?

Mat

The best mouse:

Logitech MX700: tons of buttons, rechargeble, wireless. Simply great.

I have the MX500 as well. I think there is a bluetooth one out soon. Should be really great too. Anyway, I also have to admit, that the explorer mouse from ms is really good as well. Feels good and the res is very high as well. Leave those Typhoon mouses (mice?). I had few of them and they are really bad

It seems like Logitech is a popular choice. I'm not to crazy about the way they look ( I like pretty things ) but I guess I should check them out. I do like the design of the MacAlly mouse.

Mat- no problem, don't worry about it. If you never get corrected then you won't know your making a mistake right? ;)

Viktor

The MX700 fits my hand perfectly, buttons, scroll wheel, etc, extremely easy to use without moving my hand on the mouse. The scroll wheel is even a clicker.

Logitech... go for one of them... MX500 or MX700

I have both... and they just work great... even in 10.3 they are good and Dirvers are ok

Choose one of the two beauty ;)

I just got a Logitech Cordless Click Plus, and I like it but would rather have a bluetooth mouse - so I'm gonna return this and get a Logitech MX900 Bluetooth when they come out - I actually found a few online but they are out of stock - and one place said they will have them in a few days - So looks like I'll be ordering one of those soon! Logitech, Bluetooth is the way to go...

This is a quick fix that I think everyone has overlooked so far: if your optical mouse is skipping around, make sure you have a solid color mousepad underneath it. If you have two contrasting colors (black & white, red & yellow, etc.) or a picture, you are going to get spotty results from an optical mouse. You should have a single block of one color to use your mouse on. I have a green mousepad that I put in for the pad I had before, which said, in white text on a black background, "01.01.00: The mark of the millenium." And now my mouse works fine.

But for reference, I have a Starlogic 8D optical mouse, as you can see in the following scans, and I love it. It is very comfortable to hold, and I like having a third button available that isn't a clickable wheel and the ability to use it as a trackball instead of a wheel. (The first part makes it look lopsided, but it's not; it just scanned weird.)

Attachments

• mousescans.jpg
    mousescans.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 9
arden..I know...but I like my musepad :(
I just want to buy something new to my computer ;) :p

Viktor

Originally posted by johnnymac
I just got a Logitech Cordless Click Plus, and I like it but would rather have a bluetooth mouse - so I'm gonna return this and get a Logitech MX900 Bluetooth when they come out - I actually found a few online but they are out of stock - and one place said they will have them in a few days - So looks like I'll be ordering one of those soon! Logitech, Bluetooth is the way to go...
MX900 dosn't work with mac.
im really pissed about that.

Originally posted by UNIX X11
MX900 dosn't work with mac.
im really pissed about that.

It will probably be supported in OSX since its bluetooth, it will just be without the Logitech drivers - Logitech eventually will have drivers im sure for OSX - I bet the MX900 will work fine with at least the right and left buttons and scroll wheel...and then wait for real drivers from Logitech for OSX -- just like the Microsoft Blue tooth mouse, its not really supported with real drivers from the vendor, but will probably work fine via bluetooth

iMan, I know, it sucks, I would rather use the millenium mousepad I described, but it's $5 compared to $25-85, depending on what mouse you're looking at, instead of just a mousepad.

Back