Which order to install OS'es

mala

Registered
Hi,

I'm about to reformat the disk in my iMac 450 DV and install OS 9.2.2 on one partition and Panther on the other. Does it matter if I format the disk with the ulility on the OS 9 CD or the OS X CD? Does it matter in what order to make the OS installations? Anything else to think about?

TIA

Mala

Panther has the option to make a journaled partition out of it. This is a great feature you surely would consider for panther. However, I am not sure, if os9 will like it too. I think I would first install panther and then os9. Hopefully everything will go fine.
Good luck

There is no technical reason for it, but I like to install OS9 first on older machines (G4's and lower). After 9, then X. It just makes sense to install the older os first then proceed to the newer installer. Since the OSX installer was developed with OS9 in mind, but the OS9 installer was not intended to be installed from an OSX environment.

If you install X first, just be sure to enable OS9 driver support. This will allow you to start your machine using the OS9 startup disks. My TiBook only has OSX installed. I was unable to install 9 because I neglected to enable that option.

Yep, OS 9 first. Partition the way you like with OS 9's installer, then, after installing 9, reformat the partition you're going to install Panther on with the Panther installer.

Ok, I get it. Thanks for yor help!

/Mala

fryke said:
Yep, OS 9 first. Partition the way you like with OS 9's installer, then, after installing 9, reformat the partition you're going to install Panther on with the Panther installer.

You're right, it won't... if you make sure you enable the option in the OS X installer to install the OS 9 drivers. Otherwise, you won't be able to install OS 9.

Arden said:
You're right, it won't... if you make sure you enable the option in the OS X installer to install the OS 9 drivers. Otherwise, you won't be able to install OS 9.
Not true, if the OS9 drivers are not installed you will still be able to INSTALL OS9, you just won't be able to boot from it, i.e. you will only be able to use OS9 in Classic mode. For 2003 and newer computers this is no longer an option anyway, except for build to order G4's.

Hmm, I'm afraid I'm a bit confused here. As I see it there are three scenarios here and I really can't say when to chose which;

1) Panther installed with Classic environment installed by default allowing to run OS 9 applications in Classic mode

2) Panther installed and OS 9 installed on the same partition

3) Panther installed and OS 9 installed on different partitions

What I need is an Executive Summary for the reasons to chose each of the alternatives. If Classic is installed with Panther why would anybody want to install OS 9? To be able to boot from it?

TIA

Mala

1) Panther doesn't install OS9, it only installs OSX (unless using a restore CD). I don't have OS9 installed on my computer which means I can't use Classic. Classic IS OS9, i.e. using OS9 while booted from OSX.

2) This is the "default" method of installation. Using this method you can only boot up to the system which is selected in System Preferences (OSX) or Control Panels (OS9).

3) The benefit of this is for those computers which can actually startup into OS9 (not just use it for Classic). You can hold down the option key at startup and each partition with a valid system on it will show up. You can then select the operating system you want to startup from. Back when I had a computer which could boot into OS9 this is what I had and it worked really well for me.

If your computer can startup from OS9 and you want to be able to do this you need to "install OS9 drivers" when formatting or partitioning your hard drive.

From a workflow production point of view, classic runs like crap and is very much unstable, almost like running VPC under OSX, having OS9 on a seperate partition of even a seperate drive all together makes for a much more stable system, one doesnt have to depend on the other to function...

As far as Panther not installing classic....I thought it did as an option? I dont have panther at home yet but at my work I know they are doing a clean install of Panther on all the new G5s and classic is a part of that...
Can anyone verify this?

dagaz said:
Not true, if the OS9 drivers are not installed you will still be able to INSTALL OS9, you just won't be able to boot from it, i.e. you will only be able to use OS9 in Classic mode. For 2003 and newer computers this is no longer an option anyway, except for build to order G4's.

That's not true... if you don't install OS 9 drivers, and then you reboot from the OS 9 Install CD to install, how is it going to find the hard drive?

I think what we're trying to get at here is that you don't need OS 9 drivers to run or install Classic. If you have your software restore CDs, you can install (read: copy) the Classic environment without actually having to boot into OS 9. Mind you, installing Classic and installing OS 9 are two different procedures -- one requires OS 9 drivers, the other doesn't.

INSTALLING OS 9 requires that you actually BOOT into OS 9, meaning you'll need to start up from the OS 9 CD, and therefore, you'll need OS 9 drivers on your hard drive so that the OS 9 installer can actually "see" the hard drive.

I ran into a problem the other day whereby I installed OS X and OS 9 on a machine with two different partitions -- one for 9, one for X. I installed OS 9 drivers on the 9 drive only, leaving the X drive without 9 drivers. There's a little catch if you do it this way: there was no way for me to boot back into X from 9, since 9's "Startup Disk" control panel could not "see" the X disk to set the startup disk! This was also a B&W G3 machine, so the "hold down option to select a bootable partition" doesn't work. I had to reboot from the OS X install CD and set the startup disk that way... a pain, but I should have seen it coming... ;)

Not true, if the OS9 drivers are not installed you will still be able to INSTALL OS9, you just won't be able to boot from it, i.e. you will only be able to use OS9 in Classic mode.

The above statement is true.

That's not true... if you don't install OS 9 drivers, and then you reboot from the OS 9 Install CD to install, how is it going to find the hard drive?

The above statement is false.

The above statement is false.

Huh? I tried this the other day -- if you do NOT install OS 9 drivers on the drive, then boot from the OS 9 CD to install OS 9, you will be required to reformat (or initialize) the drive (or the partition), since the OS 9 installer thinks the drive is unformatted (or uninitialized) due to the lack of OS 9 drivers on the drive.

One way or the other, either by installing OS 9 drivers when you format with OS X or by completely reformatting (or initializing) the drive when you install OS 9, you're gonna have to install OS 9 drivers in order to be able to boot into OS 9. In order to boot into OS 9, you must install OS 9, and the installation process requires OS 9 drivers be on the drive.

I think we've got our terms kinda screwed up here. Installation requires you to boot from the install CD -- which is different from "installing" Classic. "Installing" Classic is simply copying the Classic folder off of the System Restore CDs and to the hard drive. Installing OS 9 gives you Classic ability, but also gives you the ability to boot into OS 9, which requires OS 9 drivers.

From Disk Utility Help:
If you're erasing a disk, select the Install Mac OS 9 Disk Driver checkbox if you plan to start up the disk in Mac OS 9, or if the disk will be connected to a computer running Mac OS 9. (You do not need Mac OS 9 drivers to use the Classic environment.)

1) You do not need OS9 drivers installed to startup from an OS9 CD as this is a firmware thing, not a hardware thing.

2) As long as the hard drive is formatted in HFS or HFS extended it will be recognised as a valid hard drive to install OS9 onto. OS9 drivers are only needed if you intend to start the computer up from an OS9 installation on that hard drive.

Back