Which Scenario Is Better for My iBook?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
Scenario 1:
I have the following applications open and running: Safari, AIM, iTunes, AppleWorks.
After finishing what I'm doing, I sign out of AIM, sign out of my wireless ISP network, click Stop in iTunes.
I quit each application by Apple (Command) + Q.
I close all open windows.
I close my laptop to put it to sleep.

Scenario 2:
I have the following applications open and running: Safari, AIM, iTunes, AppleWorks.
After I finish what I'm doing, I simply close my laptop to put it to sleep, not signing out of any applications, not quitting any applications, and leaving all windows that are currently open, open.

Which scenario is better for my iBook? This is my first laptop (my first Mac, for that matter), and I want to make sure that I'm doing everything possible to give it a good life! :D

By the way, under my energy-saving preferences, I have the box checked to enable the "Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" option.

Thanks for your help!

If it were me, I would only close AIM, since that is a network enabled application that needs to talk to a server, and it is a good idea to make sure it has shut down neatly. The other applications it won't really matter at all if they're still running when you put the computer to sleep, it certainly won't do any harm at all to have them open.

I leave everything open, even AIM (but I use AdiumX). Adium just signs off when I close the lid and signs on when I open again. Works for me.

Thanks for the replies! I guess being a former PC user and all, I'm just not used to leaving applications and windows open when I close my laptop. Ah ... the beauty that is Mac OS X! :)

Amie said:
Thanks for the replies! I guess being a former PC user and all, I'm just not used to leaving applications and windows open when I close my laptop. Ah ... the beauty that is Mac OS X! :)

yeah i remember having pc laptops and dreading having the damn things go to sleep...it just couldn't happen otherwise i'd spend the next 15 minutes fixing the damn thing after a reboot or two. my powerbook is an extremely welcomed change.

welcome to mac!

lombarke said:
yeah i remember having pc laptops and dreading having the damn things go to sleep...it just couldn't happen otherwise i'd spend the next 15 minutes fixing the damn thing after a reboot or two. my powerbook is an extremely welcomed change.

welcome to mac!
Yep, I can relate to that! I love my iBook! And the Sleep feature actually works, unlike PCs. :)

Back