Which should I Buy?

Which would you choose?

• iPod - 1,000 Songs for my pocket (998 more than I legally own.)

• Tivo - TV My Way - Never miss Hogan's Heroes or The X-Files reruns again.

• One word: iWalk.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dricci

Registered
I've got an extra $400 to burn.

I'm stuck between deciding what I should spend it on: An iPod or a Tivo?

An iPod would be nice, an external 5 gig HD that plays music and stores contacts plus of course, most importantly, portable brickout.

A tivo would really help my TV viewing habbits. No more VCR programming and icky VHS.

I can afford one or the other. Which would you choose?

I have both.
The iPod is great, so is the Tivo. Keep in mind;however, that you have to pay $13 a month for the Tivo to download the tv listings. That's one CD a month (almost.) Also, who knows maybe they'll come out with an ATI all in wonder for OSX that has the same capabilities as the Tivo. You can always buy an older Tivo off of ebay as well for a little over $100.

TiVo

believe me, ever since my parents got it for me, i've used it daily and it's usually maxed out with all the shows i watch

if i had a mac and an ipod, i would probably recommend it

and the $13 (i thought it was $10) a month is just a small price to pay for such a convenience!

Since I'm not a big TV fan (in fact, I almost never watch anything except the old episodes of the X-Files, the once-every-Wednesday show the West Wing, and a few random episodes of Law & Order) I can honestly say that I wouldn't go for the TiVo. I'm a HUGE music fan, so the iPod was the obvious choice....for me. I don't know about you, though. The main thing is that the iPod allows you to carry around all your favorite music wherever you are, and the TiVo allows you to record TV. If you spend a lot of time watching TV at home, get TiVo. If you spend a lot of time walking around outdoors and listening to music, get the iPod. That's as simple as it's going to get.

i'm a huge music & tv fan...

the ipod would be good but all i do is sit around and listen to my music at home... which is about 700 songs...

so the tivo was good for me...

just wanted to clarify

Well, I don't have a need to carry around my music as much. I watch more TV than I listen to music. But there are just some times when it'd be really convienient to grab all of my music and leave the house... and play brickout. Hmm.. Maybe I should find an old portable CD player and my gameboy that disapeared.

The TiVo would probably be more useful to me, but there are issues like how well it will work with my satellite and rumor that some networks are implementing "scrambling" to confuse PVRs somehow.

It's a big decision. Maybe I should think it over for a little longer.

I say get an MP3 CD player and a TiVo. MP3 CD players are relatively cheap and can hold about 10 hours of music. They work very well for the most part, and for most people they'll be easier to justify buying than an iPod :)

If you're not really a music person, this makes much more sense. They go for around $80-$120, not too bad.

no. my apple pro mouse isn't, it's plugged in to the keyboard's usb port which in turn is tied to my mackintosh.

Tivo's software is based on a small port of Linux. People can actually use Linux machines to haxx0r their Tivos.

Microsoft owns "Ultimate TV" which had some features that Tivo didn't have for a while, but does now, and does them better. From what I've heard, development on Ultimate TV has been haulted. Tivo is still going strong.

Originally posted by dricci
but there are issues like how well it will work with my satellite and rumor that some networks are implementing "scrambling" to confuse PVRs somehow.

1) we have it hooked up to our satellite... when you want to watch HBO, you just hit Channel 501 instead of going to the vcr, turning on the aux. video chanel, turning on the satellite, and then going to 501.... plus i like it's menu and layout much better... so much easier to use...

2) networks may scramble those ReplayTV systems that can digitally remove the commercials and then share them over the internet, but i haven't heard anything like that about tivo...

3) UltimateTV is probably halted since they're working on some new technology (click the link to see what i'm talking about : http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/freestyle_mira.asp)

4) MP3 cd players are very good... my friend has 2 (don't ask why... i don't even know) and he uses them whenever he wants to take his songs with him... he gets around 110 songs on one cd...

Originally posted by vic
no. my apple pro mouse isn't, it's plugged in to the keyboard's usb port which in turn is tied to my mackintosh.

Wrong. The Pro Mouse is made in Taiwan, which is also where Windows machines tend to be produced, which means it's tied with Microsoft. The mouse is also plugged into USB, which is used by Microsoft.

:) :) :)

Originally posted by Bluefusion

Wrong. The Pro Mouse is made in Taiwan, which is also where Windows machines tend to be produced, which means it's tied with Microsoft. The mouse is also plugged into USB, which is used by Microsoft.

:) :) :)

isn't everything made in taywan :)

Yes! Exactly my point. See, everything's made in Taiwan, so therefore everything is tied to Microsoft. It's a fact of life :(

Hehe

Buy the iPod... You could always get more songs free. But, with the Tivo, you have to pay $13 a month for the listings.

P.S.: Only two songs?! I have 6 GB of them! And, don't worry, all of my songs are not illegally downloaded mp3s

I thought about a newton actually. Now that there's that iTunes sync plugin. Oh boy, 8 mono songs crammed in my pocket! It'd be a great PDA though.

A Tivo would probably be a pain to keep up with. I don't know if the $13 a month is really worth it. I wish they'd offer an ethernet port and just let me plug it into my network so it could get listings free :p

An iPod would be nice to have if it supported more PDA features or like possibilites to add games or something. I think the brickout alone is enough to make me want to buy it.

Back