Which X Server?

tyma

Registered
Which X server do those in the know prefer? There's Apple's new server, XDarwin, the X11 package from Fink, and I'm sure there's a few others.

Which one is the best and most compatible?

Thanks,
Tim.

My experience is that X11.app from Apple is the best if you're using OSX. It used to be that I would kill aqua and log in as >console so it would be faster. For this purpose I kept XDarwin around and it worked well.

But quartz rendering just makes everything twice as fast, even with all the baggage that goes along with aqua. Speed was my major issue with XDarwin when I wanted to use it along side my aqua apps so X11.app fixed that.

If you're doing funky things like running KDE or booting into >console then your choice may be different. For most people, X11.app will be the best, and most familiar for mac users.

**append flames from hardcore *nix types here**

Originally posted by Koelling **append flames from hardcore *nix types here**

Well, I've been a Linux user for quite some time - although certainly more on the server than the desktop. You won't get any flames from me. :)

I'm actually asking as an OS X user - I'm looking for the most robust, speedy, and easy to use X11 server there is. My observations have matched yours, although I like being able to run XDarwin in full-screen mode. That's cool. But not enough to make me not pick X11.app as my default yet.

And for what it's worth? While I like FVWM and even TWM (Gnome and KDE, while nice, are too over the top, IMHO, and lack consistency) OS X/Aqua is - in my book - a much better OS/GUI than Linux/X11. I just want the open source software like GIMP and OpenOffice.

Now *I'M* awaiting *nix user flames, heh. :)

Tim.

I think that XDarwin now includes hardware acceleration but only in rootless mode. Can't be positive so I would check out the XDarwin website. Apple's X11 is very well done. However I would like to see Apple include multiple desktop support. Have tried some other window managers and I think that Fluxbox is the best - small, fast and dard cool :)

will

Back