White lines on display - PowerBook G4

hyphenjones

Registered
There are lots and lots distressing wee horizontal white lines and bands appearing on the display of my year old powerbook.

They mostly appear on the lower third of the display as it is being opened up and tend to go away with careful angling of the screen, sometimes that area goes completely black as though no light is emitting at all rather than just a dark area of screen.

This has been developing over the last couple of months and has been accompanied by creaking from the hinges and jerky motion when opening up.

The horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach says that the whole thing is mangled and is going to cost the earth to repair, please help!

On a slightly different tack, is there any easy way to get under the keys on a G4 PB to clean out some sticky stuff?

I'm no expert but it sounds like you might have loose/ dodgy screen wiring on your powerbook. I assume that the wiring from the screen to the base of any laptop would go through or somewhere close to the hinges and the creaking your experiencing would obviously then most likely be related to the problem.

Like I said no I'm definitely no expert, thats just what came to mind.

Back