Who changed my Safari, and how did they do it.

Stellor

Registered
I'm running Safari 1.3.2 on a G5 DP 2GIG, OS 10.3.9, about a week ago it started crashing all over the place. I was able to isolate 1 site and made a crash report. A few days later I opened Safari and found 4 new entries on my bookmark bar, and 2 new entries in my bookmark for news items. How is anyone able to do this without an administrator password?
But it has stopped crashing.

Sam

P.S. Is this the latest Safari update for 10.3.9.

Safari is at 3.0.2, but I've no idea if it'll run on 10.3.9.

Also--no idea about the added bookmarks. Delete them.

The News items are probably RSS feeds. You can turn that off in the Preferences.

The bookmarks added to the bookmark bar are: .MAC, eBay, Amazon, Yahoo!. The ones added to my news folder are: New York Times ( 14 day free trial ) and CBS MarketWatch.
I can't find anything in the Preferences relating to RSS feeds.
I did delete all the added items just to be safe.

Sam

Well, those are your default bookmarks, did you delete safaris preferences or anything like that or import bookmarks?

Apple adds, by default, five (5) web site links, and a folder (titled 'News') of links to 'Safari's Bookmark Bar.

Individual Links: 'Apple', '.Mac', 'Amazon', 'eBay', and 'Yahoo!'.
'News' folder links: 'CNN.com', 'New York Times', 'Los Angeles Times', 'BBC News', 'CBS MarketWatch', 'CNET News.com', and 'Google News'.

---

To remove all or some of the above links, navigate within 'Safar' to '/Applications/Safari/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/' and open 'BuiltInBookmarks.plist' with 'Property List Editor' (or equivalent) and delete the 'Children' Dictionary, or edit its children listings.

The above is based on 'Safari' v. 1.2.2 (125.7).

-----

'Who changed my Safari ...' - Apples' MacOS X's 'Safari' itself.
'... and how did they do it.'' - by reverting to its internal 'BuiltInBookmarks.plist' files' contents.

Why?, well that is another question ...

Thanks barhar. It's nice to know safari could have done this on it's own.
Not paranoid just curious.

Thanks again
Sam

My spouse has an eMac which cannot be updated past 10.3.9. However, he would like to upgrade his Safari, if possible, which is 1.3.2. Is there a later version he can use?

Back