Who invented time travel?

MacLuv

Reloaded
Est-ce que n'importe qui vous a jamais posé cette question? Probablement pas. Et dans votre vie, la chance de vous étant posé cette question est sérieusement encore probablement une dans milliard. 1. Il y a une réponse. 2. C'est une personne. 3. Il est quelqu'un que vous savez. 4. Et oui, le voyage de temps a été inventé. Nous voyageons par lui en ce moment.

Did no matter who ever pose you this question? Probably not. And in your life, the chance of you being put this question is seriously still probably one in billion. 1. There is an answer. 2. It is a person. 3. He is somebody whom you know. 4. And yes, the voyage from time was invented. We travel by him of this moment.

I suppose it would have to be the one who created time in the first place hmm?
God. (Was a person for awhile... remember?)

Le passé et le présent ne sont pas importants. Nous sommes ici maintenant. Si nous voyageons par le temps déjà, où est le temps machine?

The past and the present are not significant. We are here now. If we travel by time already, where is the machine time?

Le temps est une illusion. C'est une mesure inventée par des humains. Seulement dans votre esprit existe a après et un futur. La réalité existe seulement dans maintenant. Même pendant que vous lisez ce passage votre esprit va vers l'arrière.

Time is an illusion. It is a measurement invented by the human ones. Only in your spirit exists has after and a future. Reality exists only in now. Even while you read this passage your spirit goes backwards.

i say albert as well

space is time in essance

and albert einstein first made those connections i think, so why not?

but then since space is time, then in theory whomever invented space travel (that being travel outside of our atmosphere) could be it

but then again, we travel through space on our planet, so then whomever realized that could have been said to invent time travel, but really they didnt invent it, just discovered it

so actually, really... no one invented time travel, but someone could invent controlled time travel, which is a totally different thing, and thusly i have no answer to

so when you are done pullin the strings of our mind i look forward to your insightful answer to the questions of the universe ;)

haha, i like the travelling through time RIGHT NOW bit.
i can TRAVEL THROUGH TIME. i'm travelling through time RIGHT NOW. i ALWAYS travel through time!

like dodging bullets. i can dodge bullets. i've dodged EVERY BULLET EVER FIRED!
hah! even Neo couldn't do that.

Well, the question "Who invented Time Travel?" implies that someone intentionally set out to discover/invent controlled time travel. That being the question, I have no answer yet. But, if I recall correctly, when an object's speed is faster than its surroundings, time slows down for that object (actually only happens for relativisitc speeds). So, since no human has approached relativistic speeds, then no one has achieved time travel by this method.

This little exercise certainly set in motion the cogs and wheels turning in my head. I would think that time is "moving" at a constant rate. I came across this ideal visually by imagining a series of particles in 2D space with trajectories. All particles are bouncing into one another (much like the "planets" screensaver some of us have seen). Now take that 2D motion in a plane and add the third dimention moving at a constant rate. You would see the plane of 2D particles moving along an axis normal to the plane with the particles moving about. As the particles move about, they plot out 3D trajectories as the plane moves in one direction. From the perspective of being outside the plane, one could tell future or past position of any particle by looking along the trajectories that have predetermined paths.

Now extending this analogy to people might explain how psychics are able to sometimes accurately predict future and past events of people they come in contact with. This assumes the psychics are not mentally ill, or fakes, or any other type of crack pot (i.e. the real true blue psychic such as John Edward who is able to predict some future events though his real gift appears to be talking to dead people). While I don't think psychics can transcend the space-time contunuum and leave the rate constant of time, I do know that the human brain is a non-linear processing system, and somehow these people are able to predict with limited accuracy future events and tell of past events which they previously knew nothing about by taking a few bits of present information and computing/extrapolating along the trajectory a little away from the constantly moving "plane" (from our perspective a cube or sorts) of space.

Of course this little mental exercise is probably bogus and full of nonsense.

There actually is absolutely no way to tell if time is moving in a constant rate. If there was nothing but you treading water in a river, and you couldn't see the shore or the bottom, there is no way to tell how fast it is flowing or you are moving. If you can tell that time is a constant, then you must be able to see the edge of time, or something else not within it.

Originally posted by gregarios
There actually is absolutely no way to tell if time is moving in a constant rate. If there was nothing but you treading water in a river, and you couldn't see the shore or the bottom, there is no way to tell how fast it is flowing or you are moving. If you can tell that time is a constant, then you must be able to see the edge of time, or something else not within it.

Incorrect, if I was treading water in a river and I could not see or hear anything, the only thing I could feel/detect would be acceleration in one direction. Hence, there should be some physically measureable property that one could use be it electromagnetic properties (red/blue shift), mass(gain/loss), energy(gain/loss), etc... to detect acceleration in/of time. The laws of physics simply can't be broken.

Well, the question is rather ambigious. What do you really mean? Do you want the name of the person who first mentions time travel in written form? Do you mean the first person who (allegedly) did travel in time? Do you mean the person who first writes about a vehicle to travel through time?

Most sources will tell you that "A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthurs Court" by Mark Twain is the first literary account of time travel, four years older than HG Wells "Time Machine". There is, however also an account of time travel in the Quoran, as Muhammed ascends to heaven and returns at the exact moment he left...

Other examples of "time travel" can be found in other, earlier mythical and religious stories. So, to answer the original question is probably not as easy as "Macluv" want us to beleive.

Actually, you can only sense accelleration/decelleration if there is a change in the speed you are travelling in the river. Your original inertia cannot be determined if your entire existence was always in the river. How fast were you going to begin with? Also, there is no way to determine that we can sense the acceleration/decelleration of time by any physical means. In this respect, physical inertia and temporal inertia are completely different things, and even though we can perceive physical accelleration, we cannot perceive temporal accelleration... yet.

If we could, then yes, you would be able to determine that time is not a constant value, but you still wouldn't be able to determine that value. :)

Originally posted by gregarios
Actually, you can only sense accelleration/decelleration if there is a change in the speed you are travelling in the river. Your original inertia cannot be determined if your entire existence was always in the river. How fast were you going to begin with? Also, there is no way to determine that we can sense the acceleration/decelleration of time by any physical means. In this respect, physical inertia and temporal inertia are completely different things, and even though we can perceive physical accelleration, we cannot perceive temporal accelleration... yet.

If we could, then yes, you would be able to determine that time is not a constant value, but you still wouldn't be able to determine that value. :)

Agreed, initial inertia cannot be determined if I was floating in a river, but if I'm accelerating (positive or negative), then I would certainly be aware that a force exists in one direction. For example, everything on this planet feels the force of 9.81m/sec^2 all the time. I certainly feel it with everything I do; my sense of balance depends on it both consciously and subconsciously. My limbs do not rest floating in mid air; they are drawn towards the ground. I can even predict, with reasonable acuracy, the effects of 9.81m/sec^2 on objects in my environment. When I throw a ball with a small diameter and large mass I can predict that it will land in the general vicinity of where I want it to go and when. If I was on the moon, I would have to relearn how object behave in a lower gravitational field with very low atmospheric drag (yes, the moon does have a very very small atmosphere, just above absolute vacuum).

I still think that a change in the rate of time would exert some event in the phyiscal world that is measureable. For example from relativity, when objects approach the speed of light, c, their masses increase - this is measureable. Perhaps time is moving at the speed of light. Go forward at the speed of light and you go really far really fast into the future. Go backward in time at the speed of light and time comes to a stop, i.e. motion ceases to exist. Given that c seems to be the absolute speed limit of the universe, this perhaps is why time travel to the past is impossible.

Avez-vous su qu'il y a des effets de champ électrique en atmosphère qui affectent votre cerveau? Nous devons résoudre le mystère de pourquoi c'est que votre rythme d'alpha, comme mesuré par des détecteurs sensibles aux ondes cérébrales, a une fréquence égale à cela détectée par l'étude des oscillations faibles de champ électrique dans l'atmosphère. La fréquence est de 7,8 hertz, l'environ un sixième ou un septième de la fréquence de l'électricité assurée à votre maison.

Did you know that there are field effects electric in atmosphere which affect your brain? We must solve the mystery of why it is that your rate/rhythm of alpha, as measured by detectors sensitive to the cerebral waves, has a frequency equal to that detected by the study of the low oscillations of electric field in the atmosphere. The frequency is of 7,8 hertz, approximately sixth or a seventh of the frequency of assured electricity at your house.

schumann resonance

While watching my cat one day, I realized that cats must have a different rate of image conversion than humans. Like the frame rate on a movie camera, the cat must be viewing the world at a different rate. If the frame rate of a cat was "frozen", i.e. 1 frame of human time = 10 frames of cat time, it would explain why a cat can catch a fly. To a cat, the fly appears at frozen locations in the animal's field of vision. The cat need only reach out and swat at a certain area to catch the moving fly. After a few swats, the cat has it.

Back