who pays for shareware?

Do you pay for shareware?

• Always, even before I try the application

• For all the applications that I use and like (after trying)

• For most or over 50 % of the applications I use

• For some of the applications I use (1 sw to 50 of all sw %)

• Randomly

• I don't have a credit card etc similar problems for paying for them

• Never (as a principle)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I believe in kharma, that's why I pay for shareware that I like and use. I feel that if I contribute (as I do to this very website!) then I continue to reap the benefits. The cost/benefit analysis (if you want to get technical!) is very much on the positive side.

My best example of this is when I had to figure out a printing problem on an iMac 15" that refused to open Print Center; it always crashed when I wanted to "Add Printer" so I couldn't print or add a printer. I found Print Center Utility on the web for OS X and it not only cleared up the problem but got rid of the notoriously bad Canon drivers for me to optimize my printing. Yep. Bought it. You bet I did! If I hadn't found it, my brother, who now has my old 15" iMac would still be printer-less. (I am his IT guy, by the way!)

Randman said:
I tried ikey just now and it didn't feel too comfortable.

iKey hasn't had an update in Panther. Did you try out the demo? Whoosh!

There is a newer app out there, FunKeys X, that has some cool, unique features and is pretty easy to set up. Same price as iKey, I think. Didn't cause any conflict with my programmable keyboard.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13410

Cheers!

I was never able to get their so-called Demo to work (by demo, I mean there is a demo of how iKey works once you launch iKey, not a Demo version of the app). Even pre-Panther.

I might check out FunKeys, though I suspect it's gonna be six and one half dozen or the other. Still, key combo apps are great!

That's funny, it worked for me with a vengeance! It begins by saying that this demo will take a few minutes, then spits out text in TE rapid fire, pausing only briefly to explain why it is pausing so long, and finishes up in less than a minute. Impressive but scary.

FunKeys X is really just more of the same, though it does have a Google launcher that I haven't seen anywhere else yet for the Mac. And as is the trend, it installs by way of its own preference pane.

Here, I'll show you.

Attachments

• FunKeysX.jpg
    FunKeysX.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 6
Back